1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo kit on fox thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Pushrod Tech' started by jridenour31, Sep 4, 2009.

1. jridenour31

has anybody used a fox mustang turbo kit on a fox thunderbird? i know the engine bays are pretty much the same but i can't find any info on this.

2. bgjohnson

I wouldn't doubt you have to do a little bit of fab work. I don't they are a direct fit, but I could be mistaken.

3. jridenour31

i'm not too worried about the coldside and i know the headers will work, mostly i was just wondering about the downpipe on a b&g kit. it looks like an hp kit would work but i would much rather use a b&g kit. i don't know if the firewall or motor position are different on the t-birds than the mustangs.

4. enigami

T birds have the same engine bay as a fox. Try taking some measurements and post em and I can take the same ones on my 91' LX and let you know.

5. Chris Lazzo

David Neibert and I both run turbos on Thunderbirds and no a fox body kit will not work. Engine bay is way different then a fox body stang
    do a search under our old post should be a ton of info on it.

Chris

6. jridenour31

it looks pretty much identical to my 88 and 94 as far as i can remember. i'll try to get some measurements tomorrow. i'm not worried about the coldside at all, it's just the downpipe that i'm wondering about.

i searched for your thread and the pics of your car weren't working. i did notice you mentioned once you had a 90 sc and the other guys sig said he had a 91 and a 93. those are completely different platforms that i really can't make a comparison with. yours are mn12's, mine's a fox. thanks for the info though, my cousin was wanting to turbo his 90 and was curious if a kit would work so that definitely clears that up.

i was also wondering about the a/c by the downpipe. does it need to be removed completely or can i work around it?

lol i just noticed it changed the kit i mentioned earlier to BG CUSTOM TURBO kit, weird

7. BADSBRD

The engine bay is very similar. but not exact. If you are running the stock k-member the engine sits in a different location from the mustang which changes a lot of the measurements. I would not bet on a kit working outof the box, I always plan on additional work to get things to fit in my T-Bird.

Rick

8. enigami

if the k member is the only thing holding you back than thats easy enough to fix :D

9. jridenour31

that's for sure. it's going to end up with a mustang tubular k anyway, so i might as well just do it now. has anybody actually put one on a fox bird? the cold side not fitting doesn't bother me, i'll probably make my own exactly the way i want. it would be a lot simpler if i could buy a pre-made hotside and be done with it. has anybody had BG turn the turbo mount like the hp kit to route the downpipe through the k?

10. Disney Lincoln

The K-member is pretty much the same, Same location and all, but teh core support is much closer to the engine than the Mustang. The turbo will seem much farther forward in the T-bird.

11. Chris Lazzo

Oh my bad yes the fox body t birds have a ton of room should easy be able to fit a fox kit on there,

Chris

12. BADSBRD

K-Member is not the same. A Mustang k-member will not bolt right into a T-Bird. If you use a Mustang k-member you will have to use a 1/2" spacer on the upper mounts and you will have to open up the holes on the lower mounts by 1/2". I am in the process of putting in a Racecraft k-member in my T-Bird. I spoke to 3 other manufactuers and they all told me it would bolt right in. It does not. This was confirmed after I spoke in furter detail to Mark @ Racecraft. It's not a huge difference, and I liked that the engine would sit 1/2" lower. The engine sits in a different location from the Mustang I measured the difference in both the core support and firewall, compared to a Mustang a few years ago. If you need confirmation call Mark @ Racecraft.

If you go with an aftermarket k-member getting the stock length Mustang arms will move your balljoint in 1" compared to the stock T-Bird. I have the measurements layed out onmy floor and can get you some ,easurements if you wish.

Rick

13. jridenour31

if you could get me the measurements that would be great. i knew the mustang k worked with minor modifications but wasn't sure what the difference was. as far as the mustang arms moving the ball joint in, what is the best thing to do there? are the sn95 arms longer?

14. BADSBRD

If you are going after market k-member most places make a 12", 13" & 14" A-Arm. the 14" would be equivalent to a stock T-Bird arm, the 13" is the equivalent to the stock Mustang arm. Which measurements would you like?

Rick

15. Disney Lincoln

Yes, an SN95 arm moves it out where it should be. I've used them on two cars now and they sit perfect.

Unlike BADSBIRD, i've had no problem using a Mustang (UPR) Kmember in a bird chassis.

16. jridenour31

thanks a ton for all the help guys. i guess the general concensus is that a mustang k will work, but may or may not require minor mods depending on brand. either way it's not a big deal. as far as measurements go, i don't really need much. the back of the head to the firewall with a mustang k would be nice, also, the distance from the back of the head to the firewall on a mustang. i can get the measurement for a stock thunderbird setup. are the engine bays the same distance side to side? if a BG hotside will work i'll definitely use one,but i may just end up doing a kit myself if it doesn't seem like a premade kit is going to have to be heavily modified.

17. enigami

Rhe D&D k member will work in a t bird. Just measure out your engine bay and i can do the same once i know where your measuring from.

18. Disney Lincoln

Also measure the front of the head to the core support.

19. jridenour31

alright guys, you've been really helpful. i'll get some measurements tomorrow and get back to you.

20. BADSBRD

Enigami & Disney, can you guys get a measurement for me? I am curious on the distance of the drop from the upper k-member mounting surface to the lower. Were your cars 4 cyl., 6 cyl. or 8 cyl. cars from the factory. I think Ford used different k-members for different combinations. I am trying to get to the bottom of why some k-members fit and others don't. It can't just be differences from manufacturer to manufacturer. There is 1/2" of height difference, which would make it hard to adjust for.

I am glad to see other guys hot rodding your T-Birds.

Rick