1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Confused of what to do

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Probird, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Probird

Building a 355 sbc and have confused myself on what to do.

Have 2 sets of heads of which to choose,
    Pistons are -5 flat top with 2 valve reliefs forged, heads I have to use are:

RHS steel 2.08 intake ,1.60 exaust, 72cc chambers, 235 intake ports..... 9.1 to 1 compression

OR

Edelbrock performer rpm aluminum 2.02, 1.60, 64cc chambers with 190 intake ports.....9.9 compression

Car is a 67 camaro that I drive on the street, no racing, just a cruise in car. Will be using a gt45 or 2 on it with a blow thru carb. Will see boost occasionally but more for just because it looks good.

What would you do with these options?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mike86Stang

RHS no doubt..

3. Mnlx

What fuel, and how much boost? Id be tempted to run the rpm's with water/meth.

4. turbomalibuwagon

Yeah I'd agree. The aluminum will act better even though more compression and the 235 cc head on a street car will be way below efficient at cruise speed making it less responsive and hurting tork lower in the rpm's.

5. Probird

Not as cut and dry as I thought it would be...
    Any other suggestions?

Pump gas and probably 10 to 15 pounds I'm thinking.

Was going to put this engine in my 1989 pro street camaro, but thinking I would like to try a 5.3 ls in it for shots and giggles. The edelbrock set are on my 355 in my 67 camaro, so would you disassemble a good running engine to swap heads or leave it together and run the rhs set?

6. Mnlx

It depends on what you want more... I like the rpm's because they're aluminum, and if truly a street car with limited time in boost, they're going to make a better running "street" build, and the meth will allow you to run your boost numbers on pump. The cam selection will also play a role in the setup as well. If you're more concerned with a hp number and simplicity, then the 235's look better.

7. Mike86Stang

The reason I like the RHS heads is b/c it's more power NA, & will be more power under boost.. plus it's more pump gas friendly.

As Mnlx and turbomalibuwagon alluded to, yes it'll be softer in the lower rpm range and won't be as good on gas, but it'll rip up top. To me with pump gas it just makes more sense. Mnlx is right with the advice he is giving you, and no.. it's not cut and dry. Depends on what you want, either way will have concessions.

8. Probird

Think I will bolt on the 235 set and try it out.

Thank you for all the replies.

9. Probird

Also
    What bov would suffice on a twin setup?
    What wastewater also?

Thanks again