1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo-ing a 354 Hemi. Has anyone here done it?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 40FordDeluxe, Jun 16, 2015.

1. 40FordDeluxe

Hi guys, I have a 354 Hemi I'm planning on putting a turbo, or turbos on in my 40 Ford 2 door sedan. The plan is to rebuild it with forged pistons and connecting rods. A roller cam is in it's future as well. Is 9:1 a good compression ratio to shoot for? This will be my first blow through turbo build. I've done a lot with diesels, mainly the 5.9 Cummins. This is my only gas vehicle, and I'm really trying to keep from putting an oil burner in it. :corn: I have a 650 and 850 Holley double pumper to pick from for the carb. I have 2 HX35w's and I thought about putting one on each bank. The only problem may be packaging as I don't have a lot of room under the hood. I was going to go with a supercharger, but I like being different, and I think a turbo versus supercharger will be better on gas for cruising around. I could be wrong, but that is the drift I get from the guys I know whom have turbo'd cars.

2. sr47

Forget the Hemi, put a Powerstroke in it. Yeah, I said it, put either a 6.0 with upgraded gaskets, studs,.egr delete and a nice street turbo or 7.3 with some bolt ons. With a mild smoke free tune get your 500hp and 1000 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, and 30+ mpg. Then stick some 2.47 gears in the back and outrun everybody. Matter of fact, get a hot cam put in and get some revs out of it. It will not be touchy like a gasser and people will dig the different spin. Think about it, guys are running 11s and 10s in 7000 pound bricks, you'll be 3000 pounds lighter.

I have had 7.3s and a few class 8s, I like my diesels. Do it, don't look back.

3. Mnlx

The Hemi would be very cool, and 9:1 is a good all around cr. The diesel would also be cool, but the 6.0 is unreliable with hp even with upgrades, and even though the 7.3 was a great engine, its lacking airflow with its 2v heads. Cummins, or a Duramax ftw.

4. sr47

I was trying to keep it in the fam, man :) Truth told, an early Duramax with a turbo and a tune would be more than enough. Or just end every argument with a 5.9 or 6.7 common rail Cummins. Forget the gasser :)

5. 40FordDeluxe

I'm out on the 6.0! I've worked on enough of them, owned 4, and I don't need another. LOL To get a reliable 6.0 to 500hp, you will have $6k in it easy. Besides, I already have a car with a diesel in it. A 68 Corvette with a 5.9 Cummins with compounds and on and on. Believe me, I have seriously thought about building an old IDI, switching it to DI, and slamming a 671 on it and running zoomies. I built a 7.3 IDI with a 671 about 8 years ago and stuck it in a T bucket. That car was sweet. I sold it before I even finished it. I'd like to keep this car a gasser seeing how eveything I have besides it runs on diesel.

6. sr47

Ok, ok, ok.......we'll work with it. What style are you looking towards?

7. 40FordDeluxe

What do you mean by style? Turbo arrangement, or? I think the best thing would be to hang a turbo under each front fender behind the tire. Then make a deflector so debris can't reach them. Or, put one larger turbo on top of the engine. But I think fitment will be worse there. Here is a pic of the car when I was fitting the engine the first time.

40hemi.jpg #ad

8. sr47

I meant are you Pro Street, Pro Touring, Gasser, etc.

Can you post some side views? I guess one spot to put a single is where the alternator is and relocate the alternator. Run an air to air intercooler in front of the radiator, then run the outlet opposite side to the carb.

9. 40FordDeluxe

I guess this wil be more of a pro touring. I'd love to do pro street, but I want to keep as much trunk and passenger space as I can. Here is a bad pic of the RH side. You can see where the fender bolts to the lower cowl there. I think there will be plenty of room there for a turbo. But, my plans have been killed before. :calm:

40hemiside.jpg #ad

10. sr47

Yeah, that's what I visualized, you could low mount the turbo on the passenger side near the cowl, run a crossover pipe from the driver's side to the passenger side, then run the coldside piping to an air to air intercooler in the front.

11. Mnlx

Just my preference, but these old cars, and trucks have so much room up high i'd mount them high before going low. Too many extra issues with scavenging oil with low mounts, and with high mounts you could run the drains into the valve covers if wanted. My newest project is a 46 Studebaker m5 that will have the turbo up high.

12. 40FordDeluxe

Since the turbos will be higher than the oil pan if I put them just below the fender, the turbos should drain fine. The biggest issue I have with going up high is the front of the hood on this narrows pretty quickly. Either way I'll have fitment issues whether it's the fenders or hood. I guess I really won't know until I get the body back on the frame and stick the engine and trans in. Then try putting pieces on it and see how it rejects it. LOL