1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo lq4 converter selection

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by westcoastwrenchin, Mar 26, 2020.

1. westcoastwrenchin

Hi there

Trying to select a converter for my mostly street driven lq4 camaro. Specs as follows

Sloppy stage 2 cam
    4l80e
    3.08 rear gear, switching to 3.42
    7875 journal bearing turbo
    630whp(5700rpm) 705lb ft (4500rpm) @15psi on manual trans setup
    245/50/16 rear tire
    3550lb

Thinking a 3200 stall should suit but I'm still up in the air a bit. I know it is devilishly hard to get the right converter for a turbo car but hoping to do my best first guess at it. Appreciate any advice here!

TurboComet likes this.
  2. Mnlx

Go to PTC's site and fill out a converter build form. They usually respond in a few days.

3. Disney Lincoln

TurboComet likes this.
  4. TurboComet

We have what you need if you're interested in running a Hughes Performance torque converter. We're also the only converter company sponsoring this site, and offer forum member discounts.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  5. TurboComet

Thanks for always looking out for us pal!! Much appreciated!!

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  6. TurboComet

To expand further, what you need is a build based on a GM 245mm core with an 086 stator and a low stall impeller. This type of build provides outstanding drivability & low-speed boost response, making for a crisp, efficient converter that also couples well at WOT. This build will typically flash around 3,400 - 3,600 RPM behind an LQ4 with a 7875, and, depending on the quality of your braking system, should footbrake anywhere from 2,200 - 2,600 RPM before starting to drive through the rear brakes.

Hughes offers this build in a single disc or triple disc option. The triple disc option is really only necessary if you intend on locking the converter clutch at WOT. Otherwise, you can can save a few $$ and stick with the single disc design.

Our billet steel front cover features all 3 common GM torque converter bolt patterns, so our converter will bolt up to any OEM or aftermarket flexplate. We can also build the converter with a standard length pilot if you're using a crank spacer or pilot extension, or we can build the converter with an LS-length pilot if you're using a dished flexplate with no spacer or extension.

Build time is 2 business days. 1-year warranty, and 1 free stall speed adjustment within the first year of purchase if needed.

7. PRNDL

TurboComet , I sent you a PM about the 086 stator.