1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

good turbo cam for stock 302 shortblock based turbo motor

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by team_southside, Jan 19, 2006.

1. team_southside

Hi, I am putting together a stock shortblock 302 with afr heads and a stage one turbo kit from HP and want some opinions on a good cam that would work well with this setup....The first thing that came to mind was the f-303 cam being very low cost and having a good reputation for fast times on turbo motors. Let me know what you guys think i should look into.

Thanks, Nick

2. wldtang

I am wondering this same question.

3. EvilGooses

stock cam :chacha:

4. 93gtstanger

im with him, this question has been asked a couple times, and each time- the stock cam will crack your block just as much as any other one will. if you already have the stock one in there keep it, if you have somehting lying around, then throw it in there, but i wouldnt spend money on a cam when it can go to other parts

zach

ummduh likes this.
  5. 8950LX

Yeah, what he said.:D Stock cam will get the job done. F,E,B-cams also work well. Keep it simple and basic. :2thumbs:

6. dman

this question has only been asked about 6,000,000,000,000,000 times on this board and the answer is always that the stock cam will do. so will the F303, so will the E303, so will the G303 so will the R303, Q303, just about any comp cam, crane cam, lunati cam, custom grind cam, roller cam, flat tappet cam, solid cam, over head cam, pnuematic cam, etc... :D ;) :D

7. Scott02GT

I brought back mr turbo to answer this question haha

smilie CAM WORKS.jpg #ad

ummduh likes this.
  8. TurboRed

I was wondering the same thing. I have a lunati 51025, 224/232 .535/. 544 @112 deg, and was not sure if I needed to pull it out or not.

9. Vitoman

I have also read that the Tirck Flow 1 cam works well and can be bought cheap

10. dman

Any cam but that one will work ;)

11. mustang-junky

Won't using a stock cam be a waste of a set of AFR heads?

And who wants a cam that works "fine" , "good", or "will do".

I should think that any power hungry mustang fan would want a cam that works great. I think that that is why this question comes up so much. Ya this cam works but will this one work better?

12. Scott02GT

Your right, but here is the thing, any cam mentiond will make enough power to split the stock block in two. So why waste your money on a cam?

13. TurboRed

Exactly, I was just curious if mine was going to hurt more than help. I know for a fact Im going to split the block in half.

14. wldtang

for me is driveability that I am looking for. That is why I like the stock cam. However I have a 94 cobra cam and switching to TW heads with 1.6 rr vs. 1.7 rr seems like would hurt things since the cobra cam was designed for 1.72rr's.

15. Racer99

The game is not to split the block but see how fast you can go BEFORE that happens.
    I am in the same boat(stock block)with a pile of stuff to go faster
    but I am trying to go 9.99 with the stocker and not tear it up,then the Dart block
    goes to the machine shop.

16. stanggod

Unless you already have different cam, I wouldn't use anything other than a stock cam if using a stock block.

17. team_southside

thanks for the info guys.....i think we will probly end up going with either the f-cam or somthing compareable......as soon as the block splits an aftermarket block will be put in....and then making too much power for the block won't be an issue so therefore i might as well get the cam now as im putting everything else toghether.

TurboSnake281 likes this.
  18. stanggod

When your stock block cracks, I seriously doubt the cam will be salvageable. If you don't already have it it's a bad idea to buy a cam or anything else for that matter to use in the stock shortblock.

19. Eminent

Stock cam works great, if you want any other cam, choose based off where you want your powerband to be. Street car? Strip only? What shift point you aiming for? etc. With the AFR's, I'd prolly throw in any cam that'll keep the main power in the upper rpm's and hope to not blow the block into a billion pieces when ripping shifts at 6200 :chacha:

20. OUTPLAYN

Seems like the normal thing to do...unless you like wasting money!