1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo identity

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by gutlass80, Nov 22, 2022.

1. gutlass80

Hey guys. I have a couple turbos bought off ebay a few years ago. For the life of me I cannot find the specs for them.
    They are type TO4E
    Part number T3/T4-1
    3" Inlet 2"outlet
    .60 A/R compressor
    .63 A/R turbine
    63 Trim/ 60 AR
    Those are the only specs I have written down from when I bought them.
    Would these support 600hp on a 393 cid windsor?

2. B E N

Probably, pull the compressor housing, measure the compressor wheel diameters.

3. Mnlx

600 hp 393 can mean so many different things.... a 393 with most any aftermarket head, and some rpm will most likely overwhelm the outdated, and small t3 turbines. We need to know more about the combo.

bbi_turbos likes this.
  4. gutlass80

It's for a 1995 lightning. Ported tubular gt40 upper and lower intake. Mildly ported trick flow heads. 9.8-1 compression.
    Hydraulic roller. 234/[email protected] 286/292 advertised. Ground 112. I'm guessing engine will make around 400hp. Going to get the pimpxshift/ megasquirt system. Just looking for a fun driver.

5. bbi_turbos

Dear God no that turbo is way to small, buy another one and put one on each bank, then you'll be more inline with what that turbo can support.

6. Mnlx

I believe he has two.. Most of those Ebays copies (assuming thats what they are) were 50 trim stage 3 copies so they'll probably make your hp goal, but definitely not a turbo that i'd choose. You need to measure the small diameters of both the compressor, and turbine wheels to know what you have though.

7. gutlass80

Correct. I have 2 of them. They are ebay specials I bought for a project that never happened. Thought might be fun on the ole truck now.
    They have A/R.63 cast into the hot side coming in. And A/R.60 cast into the cold side going back in the intake.
    They do look very small. That was my biggest concern.

8. B E N

It will take like 10 minutes to pull covers and measure the wheels, then you will have all the answers. AR has almost nothing to do with the size or capability of the turbo.

turbo-wheel-trim.png #ad

9. Mnlx

The a/r doesn't tell you enough, there were multiple oem wheels for both sides of the turbo. The China copies could be copies of any of them, or sometimes appear to be a copy of none of them... Many times the Ebay description isn't even correct. The only way to know is to pull them apart and measure.

10. gutlass80

Exhaust side
    Inducer 2.575"
    Exducer 2.205
    Cold side
    Inducer 2.300"
    Exducer 2.750

11. Mnlx

Those measurements are a little odd, but maybe its because of the blade count. The compressor is plenty big (the trim seems very odd with the 2.750 exducer), but the turbine measurements come in between a stage 2, and 3. The stage 3 is small for your build imo, but they'll work. Twins on a engine of that size with a decent head, and cam should have a T4 turbine imo, but you may be happy with it.

12. gutlass80

Thanks very much. I'm not looking for an all out race engine. Will mostly be a street cruiser.

13. gutlass80

I appreciate your help.
    Silly question. Would a pair of the generic gt45 turbos be better?
    I'm guessing engine around 400-425hp. Na.
    Thinking 8-10#'s boost.
    And or what turbos would be ideal?
    Thank you

14. Forcefed86

NO, 2 GT45's would be horrible.

2 GT35 clone's would be about right IMO. What you have is too small IMO.

15. gutlass80

Thank you. I've been studying on the gt35's the last couple day's. The most common one seems to be a 62/62. Which would definitely be an improvement over my 58/56. Sorry I'm just now understanding how the designated numbers work.
    But I seen where I can get a 66/64 also.
    Any benefits in that?

16. Forcefed86

If you are wanting 600hp there is no reason to go bigger than the gt35's IMO. the 58/56's might do it depending on how healthy the top end is and how high you rev the motor. They would be borderline IMO with little if any room to grow.

You'll give up response for potential power with the 66/64's. Gt35's are likely the cheapest choice if $ is a concern too.

On E85 10-11lbs on a pair of gt35s made 560/600whp on an lazy 8.9:1 5.3 liter LS with untouched OEM heads and a small cam FWIW. Thats through a TH400 without an intercooler as well.

THey also lit off very quickly with .63AR t3's and I still saw 1:1 BP ratios on 10-11lbs. With your motor size i'd look at the larger .83 T3's or even the T4's depending on how far you want to push it power wise.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    gutlass80 likes this.
  17. Russell

When they say T3/T4, is one side a T3 and the other. T4? Which one is which? I thought that T3 & T4 were both hot side flange sizes?

18. Pro-SC

T3 is turbine t4 is the compressor, at least that’s how I have always understood it. I was looking at these types of turbos years ago when I was considering playing with the 2.3 in my car.