1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Why would a t3 shaft snap in half?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ng8264723, Oct 9, 2013.

1. ng8264723

I wasn't making boost and had a terrible oil blow by issue. I couldn't figure it out so i decided to take the cartridge out. The cartridge was brand new. I got it off of ebay 10 years ago or so. I think it was Chinese b/c I didn"t see a garret label on it. Anyway, it looked brand new inside. but shafts were not seized there was no oil coking all. The shaft broke at the area where it goes from a thin shaft to a thicker shaft. It seems it was a metal fatigue issue. My feeling is the metlurgy was off. If there was any evidence of obstruction I couldn't find it.
    Thoughts????

2. Gen1SVE

I think you hit the nail on the head.

3. Mnlx

That, and/ or poor machining... ie no radius where it steps up.

4. tchargers

Some other common causes of shaft breakage are:
    Bearings got loose and compressor wheel hit the housing,
    Foreign object hit the compressor wheel,
    Compressor surge,
    BOV to small or misadjusted.

5. ng8264723

I will look at it more closely. I do not remember a radius. My BOV seemed to b blowing off just fine. I used this type of turbos without a BOV on a manual stang and had no issues. Even a poorly functioning BOV is better than none. I do however see your point

6. boostcreep81

Everything ive heard of the Chinese t3 small shaft turbos is they self destruct, in one way or another. The t4 frames seem fine tho, think thats due to the fact those are usually made for big truck replacements over there and get better balancing and materials for better reliability.