1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo headers in a jet, enclosed.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by rick90lx, Mar 8, 2008.

1. rick90lx

Are you guys using flipped shorties like you would do on a DIY setup for a car? I have a set of Macs that I cut the ball/socket flange off of, and I was thinking about using them in a single setup on my 357. Thoughts were to split the downpipe with a Y and head out the transom, but I'm concerned about the heat. Any thoughts?

2. Mark55

If you've got a cover over the engine then you will have to use water jacketed manifolds and turbine housings.

I have open engine compartment and dry headers but have them totally enclosed in aluminum heat shields.

3. rick90lx

Has anyone ever coated them (dry headers) and wrapped them in an application like this?

Do you have any pictures of how you exited the exhaust? (Edit: just saw the pictures you posted in another thread) I guess I dont have to put the cover on, but we ski alot with the boat, so not having it could making getting in and out of the boat a pain.

4. Mark55

I made some heat shields that cover the headers completely and stops the radiant heat there OK.
    I made a couple more that cover the turbine housings and that works ok too.

Any exposed piping at all will radiate heat like you won't believe.
    It's like having a wood stove in the back seat.

To block the radiant heat it doesn't take much, even aluminum foil will do the job.

I know of others who have made water cooled heat shields.
    I am happy with my heat shield setup with an open engine compartment but if you had a cover on it there would be no where for the heat to go.

I've got ceramic coating on the headers now. Not nearly effective enough.

daytonalr.jpg #ad

5. BAD69BIRD

I know a guy(locally) who made water jacketed heat shields in his garage with stainless. He beat them into shape just as you would a body panel , welded the two halves together and welded bungs in them for the coolant.
    So far so good and they have been on for a couple of years now.

He also used the stock manifolrds jacketed and cut and reused his pipes that went out the back from the turbo back.

Real nice simple (cheap) set up that works well.
    It has been copied a few times with good success as well.

6. rick90lx

if you ever get a chance to snap some pictures, I'd really appreciate it. Sounds like a great idea.

7. ddv005

x2 :2thumbs:

8. SFV2RVR

Here is a pic of my gentry water cooled exhaust housings, and the second pic is with the engine hatch on.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. rick90lx

I don't know how I missed this post, but that's a great looking boat/setup! :2thumbs: