1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Fox body, LS or sbf based, Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by ibmike, Feb 5, 2017.

1. ibmike

Looking to build a Fox body coupe, and trying to deside between an LS base or a sbf 8.2 based build.

First off Im a ford guy body wise, engines tho i Never liked the old style chevy enginges Port design but love the LS port/distributeless/block design.

I can buy a 92 notch with an LS3 engine,350turbo,couple of powerglides with it for a good deal, but if im going SBF then that cars out. HELP PLEASE!

Been looking for the right coupe for years, im picky,lol

2. Mnlx

If you don't mind an ls powered Ford, then really no reason not to go ls. Dollar for dollar they're really tough to beat.

3. ibmike

Yah im not really brand loyal engine wise, i do love 9.5 windsors, but doesnt seem like they fit the Turbo builds in fox bodies very well IMO.

I definitely like that LS casue of the distributorless coil pac set up, and that mustang im looking at has an LS3 which is one of the best LS engines i believe.

4. Tad Banzuelo

LS is hard to beat

you get a good EFI engine and trans managment system with the motor
    capable of referencing boost and expandable into huge amounts of power

huge amounts of aftermarket support and products

and they don't leak!

5. racesloth

Depends what you want to do with the car. Alot of us like the FFW events - then you must have a ford powered car. But if you are just after a fun street car - the LS is hard to beat.

6. Bad Medicine Racing

A Boss block alone, or the like to hold up to any substantial amount of power would cost more than an entire junkyard LS truck engine. I would do LS and not look back.

7. Twin Turbo Skylark

8. Brick House Racing

8.2 deck sbf is capable! Jon Thomas run into the 4.8s at lights out 8 last weekend!

9. afterfire

And a ls got into the 3's.

10. Brick House Racing

I must of missed that car during the Lights out race?

11. Mnlx

If you want to throw enough money at it, the 8.2 is capable, but for a stock block, (and heads?) budget minded build the ls is a no brainer. They're becoming the belly button motors now, but I don't think anyone can argue the hp/dollar value in them.

12. Brick House Racing

Budget minded I agree with!
    You should be able to find a car with a drive train to suit your power level goals!
    I will say if you start a build at A junkyard you'd better know your stuff !