1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo for inline 6?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by bunky67, Jul 30, 2024.

1. bunky67

I have a 250 inline 6 in my old GMC and I would like to put a turbo on it. I know a guy that ran a .52/.60 turbo but he said it was too big and only built boost at 2500 rpms.

My engine is stock and I'm not looking for a ton of power or to run a lot of boost ...

Anyone have a size suggestion?

2. tbird

find a used grand national turbo.

bunky67 likes this.
  3. tbird

check this out

Pro-SC likes this.
  4. bunky67

Yes I have watched this and thought about trying this model turbo. Was just wondered if it would spool at slow rpms. They used a .70/.63 turbo

5. B E N

I think you might be expecting the wrong thing from a turbo. If you want instant boost you need to be looking at something belt driven. Is this vehicle manual or automatic? How much power are you looking to make? How do you plan to use it?

Spooling by 2500 RPM on a gas engine is pretty good, even a low revving old I6. Since you are probably pushing 2500 RPM at 50 MPH you are already in a zone where you are going to boost on the slightest hill while cruising around. You also need to think about the extra load on the bottom end, especially at lower rpms.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
    tbird likes this.
  6. bunky67

Ok this sounds fine. It's a 4 speed manual not looking to make a lot just play around a little bit. Just a toy.