1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

New to engine building needing help with turbo selection.

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Jnelson76, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Jnelson76

Hello everyone, I am very new to building motors I have always worked on cars with my dad but nothing more than maybe a leaking valve cover gasket is all we ever done on a motor, So within the last 7 months I have been reading as much as I possibly could but it never seems like I will ever understand a motor completely. Within the first couple months of my decision to do this I bought several part thinking I was just going to build a motor and while buying and accumulating this I read more and more into engine building and almost none of the parts matched. (example I bought standard bore pistons and found out the used block that I bought would have to bored at least .030 over, bought a super high duration camshaft for my truck which was a 1976 k20 with 36” tires and ect.) so since then I have slowed way down and done an ample amount of research. sold the truck and bought a 1979 olds cutlass, And have decided to go for a twin turbo build, I have built a Holley 4150 750cfm double pumper that I converted into a blow through with a very lengthy and detail how to guide, I have bought a Weiand Single plain intake manifold, Forged .040 dished piston they are 15cc dished, set of 461 camel hump head 62cc and am using a metal gasket with a compressed thickness of .051”, I have bought cxracing t04e 50mm twin turbo set up, I will be building a Oldsmobile 12 bolt with 3.73 gears, will be using a gm Th350, MSD 6BTM for retarding the timing and still undecided about a torque converter because I have seen several different videos of you choose your converter with your camshaft. My intended purpose for the car is street and occasionally go to the strip with my buddy’s and make some passes. My biggest confusion is the correct cam to use because there are so many mixed emotions on the proper cam I am just trying to get the proper cam for my application. I just want to get the best horsepower out of my car. I had a buddy refer me to this sight saying if any place can give you an answer it will be this place. So thank you everyone in advance.

E76DC23D-F2AE-4574-829B-396F2042D0AD.jpeg #ad

2. Disney Lincoln

3. Jnelson76

4. 91turboterror

It’s not just the cam matching the converter it’s gonna be everything else matching including the turbo . You don’t need anything wild with your engine and turbos +1 comp 268.

5. Mnlx

What turbine wheels and housings are on your turbos? Are they T3, or T4?

6. Jnelson76

T4

7. B E N

For your engine build find a build someone else has done with good results and duplicate it. Once you build one you will understand a lot more about what goes into it. If you enjoy it you will be building more of them.

8. Disney Lincoln

The reason I said what i did is to prevent analysis paralysis. You're working on a pretty simple combo and you're not setting out to break world records. The main thing is to just get the project off the ground. get it in and running. Then you can tweak from there. Not every aspect of this has to be perfect on the first go around. Even perfect combos aren't perfect in the first try. Just run a reasonable cam, reasonable turbo, reasonable converter, etc. Middle of the road aint bad with a turbo'd V8.

Mnlx likes this.
  9. Jnelson76

That’s what I was trying to do I wanted to match the cam with what currently have that’s why it’s such a pain becauseok
    thank you for the info it makes since I tend to try and over do things on almost everything I do. I just want everything I do to be done right and to be done well the first time. But this engine stuff is way more complex than I could ever imagine. Thanks again for the information.

10. Disney Lincoln

268 cam. 3500 converter (Hughes, PTC, or other good one), pair of T3/T4 turbos with .63 or larger turbine housings. Slap that sucker together and hold the F on!

tbird and B E N like this.