1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo facing forward or no?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 25-5, May 31, 2007.

1. 25-5

Alot of race car have the turbos facing forwards. I started to redo my set up and going to leave it in the engine comp. I was going to face it forwards but I was like why?
    You ever watch a bug come at your car at 60 MPH Plus (or anything) and watch it. It is like a foot away from the car and just follows the body line a foot away. So why have the turbo facing forward? Big Daddy has been 7.50 and its in the car.

Thanks

2. Drlee50

in a race app. where you need to start with the coldest air you can get... it aint under the hood of a 1500+ hp car thats for sure
    on the street car-- not worth it-- but it looks cool!

3. 25-5

But they say colder air is farther up from the track surface. So in the bumper is like a foot off the ground how much colder could it be?

4. TT_05_Stang

The point is its the coldest possible air to get without going with the Snake Charmer style turbo settup. :)

On the bumber will be colder than in the engine compartment. While there is colder air 10' off the ground, accessing it would be a tad difficult.

5. 25-5

Yes that could not happen. And one turbo out of the hood would look GAY. Iam going to keep it in the hood so when Iam coming back up the return road I dont have to worry about rocks and stuff. You also have to drive it to the lanes.

Thanks for the help guys.

6. Unatural

If you are going to keep it under the hood, you could always run some piping from the turbo inlet to the fender well. That way it's not pulling all the hot air from under the hood. I don't know how cheap you want to go with it, but you could always make it out of PVC too so that it doesn't soak up any of the under hood heat.

7. 25-5

This is what Iam doing.

wfc4_p08.jpg #ad

8. Grey93TT

Whats up with that extra material on the shock towers?

:huh:

9. Robert1320

Make the inlet box/tube twice the size of the turbo inlet.
    Turbos like to push air not draw it in.

10. Unatural

If it's going to be that close to the fender well, then remake the metal on the inner fender so that it extends over to the turbo inlet. If you did it right, you would have no restriction at the turbo inlet (like Robert was getting at), but would still be getting the air from in the fender area. What I'm getting at is something like this except bring it closer to the turbo inlet and don't have tube in it like this one does.

Silverbullet 1.jpg #ad

11. 25-5

So you are saying have a tube from inlet to fender well and that it??

12. Unatural

Yeah, that way it's bringing in the cooler air from the fender well instead of the hot air from under the hood. If you're not running any fender liners though it probably wouldn't be a good idea since then your front tires could kick stuff up that could potentially be sucked into the turbo.