1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo engine in enclosed hatch boat?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by gofastpat67, Feb 2, 2008.

1. gofastpat67

i was wondering if it is possible/ a good idea to run a turbo setup in a boat with an enclosed engine compartment? coatings or jacketed manifolds would be in the budget but i was just wondering if anyone has tried this with good results?

2. SNYPER

Lots of prople have and still do, use MUST have jacketd exhaust, and possibly water cooled center sections!!!!

Lots of pics on www.performanceboats.com under forced induction!!!!

Travis

3. BAD69BIRD

It is easily done with a set of merc or any other top exit water jacketed manifold.

You need to build a block off plate for the water but not exhaust. Mount the turbos on the block off plate.
    run the water around the block off and turbo and into a jacketed exhaust pipe after the turbo.

They are very easy to build if you know what you are doing.
    Many of the parts off your set up now will be reused.

Use the space between the manifold and turbo(non jacketed/no water) for wastegates and put them back in the exhaust after the turbo but before the jacketing/water.

To get a little fancy you can even use a liquid cooled turbo.
    I have also seen guys not use wastegates and just size the turbos so that they do not over boost.

I have not had any experience with this type (no waste gates)of set up but have seen it done in the past on the old draw thru boats. I think airplanes are run this way too.
    The nice thing is intercooling is so much easier than a car because you have nice cool water in endless supply to runthrough the intercooler.

4. TT TA 355

Any pics of that?

5. SFV2RVR

Here is my setup that I just put together in my schiada.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. SangerDude

My plan is to hopefully find a large enough single turbo to use in my setup, preferrably a water and oil cooled turbo. Then to build my own aluminum turbo-wrap that will have water running through it as well, right out of one of the two pickups on the bottom of the boat, into turbo-wrap, and then into the rest of the circulation. Kind of like the ones shown here that slip over the turbo's in this pic...should be a straight forward build to additionally keep the turbo cool in my case....

[​IMG]#ad

7. GAWnCA

Now this is a great idea. I'm about to twin turbo a 350 Chevy jet boat and this would be good for preheating the water before it goes into the block. Where are those jackets available?

8. SangerDude

I plan on making mine....they are "C" shaped and I would make mine with an internal baffle to ensure that the water "mixes" around the turbos...and yes, the water would be preheated a bit...I know my BBC's have always liked to run a little warm rather than lake water cold.

9. SangerDude

Those are RAYJAY turbo's used in the 70's???

10. gofastpat67

I was thinking about trying a setup with a sbc 350 and and a single s400 turbo. Im thinking of using jacketed merc manifolds with block off plates for the water as suggested. Do you think i will need to jacket the exhaust crossover? I know i will need a jacketed downpipe but that shouldnt be a huge problem. I can custom make this stuff with my mig so it should work out. Plus I'll have a lot of room under the hatch. I also plan on using a a2w intercooler with a carb so I can run pump gas. What do you guys think?

11. engineermike

I'm struggling with this very issue right now in my turbo Sea-Doo RXP. I have a high-quality turbo blanket on the snail and a double layer of 2" fiberglass tape on the downpipe elbow (the rest is jacketed), but the hull temps are still way too high.

Where on earth do you get the water cooled shields?

Mike

12. steveo143

Where on earth do you get the water cooled shields?

Mike
    Those are Race Arrow shields

13. TT TA 355

What block off plates? As in have any pics for this please :'( I would like to do the same being that alot of boats have a 350 :2thumbs:

14. BAD69BIRD

I am pretty sure the banks kits all had the shields you can find them on ebay quite often. Lots of them were sold.

I know a guy who has a set up right now not sure if hed sell though.