1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rear mount turbo water pump

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by tbaggins, Feb 16, 2016.

1. tbaggins

Curious if anyone has dealt with water lines to a rear mounted turbo before? I was looking at getting a pump to return the coolant back to the radiator, but wasn't sure if I need one.

I have two turbos to feed water to and I wasn't sure if the pressure from the cooling system is enough to move water all the way back, through the turbos, and then back to the front. Would I need a reservoir in the back with a pump to send the coolant back? Any thoughts?

Also, in a stock supercharger setup like the one that the above pump is used for, is the pump on a continuous speed or does the engine control the speed of the pump based on coolant temp and/or engine speed?

Thanks for the help.

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Pressure from the cooling system? Huh? The fluid in intercooler systems doesn't automatically have pressure, there is always a pump involved. Many setups use Bosch though there are higher volume pumps available if you don't mind spending more. They run full speed all the time.

3. goinbyyabig

I'm pretty sure he is asking about water for cooling the turbo, not air to water intercooler water. I'm curious as well, as I have water cooled turbos and have questioned the ability of the factory water pump to properly circulate the water through them at all times, vs having an additional small pump to ensure the water is moving. Seems it would change depending on the thermostat being open or not, and exactly how it's plumbed.

4. flyinhillbilly

I've seen lots of suburbans, tahoes, expeditions, and excursions with rear heat and air and no more than a stock water pump. Should work fine IMO. Just be sure to run the return line in past the thermostat so that circulation won't be dependant on the thermostat being open.