1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo clocking

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Apollo, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Apollo

This seems like a dumb question but can you clock just the center section of all turbos? Got an internal wastegate and can't move the housing but the center doesn't seem to want to turn independently. Could it be just difficult? Thanks guys this has got me stressin. Do I have to remove housing?

2. B E N

As long as the center section sits with the oil drain pointing down your fine.

3. Apollo

Thts the whole problem it is exactly 360 from where I need it

4. Apollo

I've never seen turbos with the flange up p and internal wastegate down. This is my first time using internals tho. I believe it will b the last.

5. gruntguru

Yes you should be able to rotate all three housings independently.

Apollo likes this.
  6. Apollo

Do u believe the turbine housing would have to be removed on this one it's a refurbished t3 t4 Garret with some seems cheap housing. Or could it be just stubborn Im really not trying to be too forceful with it while I'm unsure

7. 91turboterror

Post a picture of what you have. It should rotate.

Apollo likes this.
  8. gruntguru

If the turbo has been used the turbine housing will usually be stuck to the bearing housing from carbon deposits and heat cycling. You will probably need to loosen (about 2mm gap, don't remove) the clamping bolts (or v band) and strike the turbine housing downwards with a soft hammer while supporting the compressor end upwards.

Apollo likes this.
  9. tbird

depending on how the internal wastegate actuator mounts will dictate rotation. The center section can be clocked any way. But if the WG actuator is mounted to the compressor housing then the turbine and compressor will have to stay clocked to each other unless the mount is modified.

10. Beelzeboss

Often the exhaust housing will be stuck on, as gruntguru says, requiring a LOT of persuasion to separate. I've never been able to just rotate the exhaust housing, it's always a process of removing the exhaust housing, then putting back on in the orientation you want.

Then again most turbo's I've worked on are MHI TD0* type, Garrett may be different

11. Apollo

I can't get pics to work on here at all.but I figured I would throw an update. The turbo was just stubborn I gave it a tap with a rubber mallet and then it was smooth as butter. So it's all good. Thanks for the advice guys.

91turboterror likes this.