1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Cam Options. (i need help)

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by zincgt, Jan 25, 2011.

1. zincgt

I know this topic has come up many times before, ive done about as much reading as I can find and I ve narrowed my choices down to two options. They are both stage 3 and will be run with ported heads I am building a twin setup going to rev to 7500 if its making power up there and I will have a turbo 400. Not really worried about spool from low rpm do to the fact that I will be leaving off a trans brake.

Cms
    560/560 238/238 @ .50 116lsa

Mhs
    525/500 230/226 115lsa

Obviously some big differences, looking for advice on why which one is "better"

Thanks again guys.

2. 99TTGT

IMOP
    for aftermarket cams
    MMR stage III is the way to go.. :2thumbs:

3. zincgt

problem is that cam is not offered in a head cam combo like they are from cms and mhs, and i cant get any where near the same head options (springs, valves ect) for the same price.

4. zincgt

2600 for their stage 2 head with cams at mmr

5. zincgt

I did call i talked to grant, i explained that i was having my engine built there and i was interested in a head cam combo. he told me 2600 for everything then he tried to talk me into a set of trickflows.... I wish you would have contacted me earlier as i have already placed my order with MHS

6. lrostosky

Hey zincgt,
    I really dont think you made a mistake going with MHS. Nick is really a stand up guy and puts a lot of research into his cam designs. That is the cam I am planning on using for a 700hp turbo 2v. Let us know how it works out.
    -Lee

7. zincgt

I agree I did a lot of shopping around, nick is the only one that responds to my pms on a daily basis and has not dodged questions like why are your cams better and answered them with facts. My car will not be turbod again untill next year so those results will have to wait but it will give me a good baseline

8. FSTMRFR

MMR stage3!

9. got9lbs

what are the benefits of turbo cams vs stock 03 cobra cams on a 323 stroker with a single 72 mm and 5 speed transmission? Will you see a faster spool and more tq?

10. strokergt

arent a lot of turbo guys just going with stock 97 cobra cams? i thought i read there was some advantage to them

11. R-Snake

Stock 96-98 cams have 204* duration. The 99-01s have 200* and the 03/04 have 184*. These specs are on the intake cams. Exhaust is all the same.

12. TT_05_Stang

Stock 3v heads, and cams with built bottom end netted me 618rwhp on 17psi, 17* timing

MMR stage2 heads and stage2 turbo cams netted me 722rwhp same bottom end, 15 psi, 17* timing

13. Turbo98

Yes, the '96-'98 Cobra cams are a the best stock Cobra cam to run in a turbo car. Under 1000rwhp and 7K RPMs, I see no reason to run anything but an OEM cam. You can even go with a FordGT cam. Guys are making HUGE power and running low 9's at over 150 with FordGT cams. Good choice.

14. Turbo98

With all due respect, when running under 1000rwhp and 7K, it's hard to justify. When I see a full weight '03 Cobra, which is set up properly, run low 9's at over 150 MPH with Ford GT cams, it gets your attention. This car has a 4.6L, twin GT35R turbos, TH400, with Ford GT cams running only 20 PSI boost!! Man, I cannot see turbo cams making any significant gains there-especially for the money spent. This is a mild-mannered street car too. I have seen many cars with turbo cams run a lot slower than this. There are other cars runing the '96-'98 cams in the 8's with moderate boost. I know there are a lot of variables involved. I'm sure on a 2200HP car the stockers would lose power. So for cars wanting to run faster than 9, they would probably be worth it. I'm sure the pros and cons will continue to be debated and cams are for some I guess.

Anyway, just my observation.

15. juxtoposed

Say you have your turbo "maxed out on boost" and an air to water intercooler with charge temps around 70 degrees. Around 950 wheel hp, would cams make more power without a bigger turbo? 4.6, pt88, 03heads, sullivan intake, stock cams now with beehive comps.

16. Turbo98

That would be a nice comparison to see. I've just seen too many cars with cams that aren't any faster than cars with OEM cams.