1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Trans fluid

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by vht, May 20, 2023.

1. vht

Don't know if this is in the right place but what trans fluid do you run? All of it is as expensive as crap but I was going to run merc VI. Turbo car is going to build a lot of heat so I figured my PG could benefit from it. I always ran type F but you can't find it anymore.

2. Dsrtjeeper

3. mld54

Believe it or not, I run John Deere Low Viscosity HyGuard with just enough Mercon in it to color it. Ford 4r70w controlled by Haltech. I know people running Tractor Supply brand with good results.

4. vht

I thought of that but it's expensive to. R

5. vht

Type f around here is scarce, I used to get it a walmart but if they have any at all now it's 2 or 3 qts. Rural King is as bad as Walmart about restocking. Do you all just run low velocity hyd fluid? I changed the fluid in my 51 ford tractor and it was the same as mineral oil, thought that was wierd. I see several name brands of hyd fluid, what wt do you all run?

6. Dsrtjeeper

Type F can be found all over. O'Reilly's sells it.
    You can buy type F online.

7. BlackCoffin

I’m running dex 6 for now, th350. May switch back to type f since I have some left over.

8. vht

I was always told not to mix type F with anything, may not be true. I was wanting to use something that would hold up to heat. I have a new Ford 6.0 diesel trans cooler that I'm putting a 10 in thermostat controlled fan on.

9. BlackCoffin

With a decent cooler and a fan it’s going to keep the fluid cool, round robin racing will heat it up but almost no way to avoid that.

10. Mnlx

Hygard, or Dex 3 with Lubegard additive.

11. vht

Mix I'd never heard of that additive, found it on Amazon, thanks.

12. mld54

If you run hydraulic fluid make sure it's for transmissions, it has additives to prevent foaming.