1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo balancing machine's

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by amnima, Mar 9, 2012.

1. amnima

Is there an entry level turbo balancing machine? I am getting more and more balancing jobs that i have to get sent off. I wouldn't mind doing them myself. I am sure some of you guys in here have one. What do i need to look for? I don't even know what kinds are offered. Thanks in advance.

2. cpurtellII

Depends on what you could charge for the balancing vs what it is costing you now. The machines to do the balance don't seem to cheap. Do have experince balancing turbos ? I don't know that I would go out and buy a 5000-10000 worth of tools your unfamilar with but that's just me.

3. amnima

I have very little experience with turbo balancing machines but there is only one way to learn. I think it would help a little with buisness, especially in timing. I don't have to send parts off to get balanced, quicker turn around times. I really dont need the latest and greatest, just a simple older machine would be awsome. Just like a little imput from people with a machine. Thanks

4. furchaser

Just because I had never actually seen it done.

5. stangman9897

Shit looks cheap i'll take 2 :D The guys i used local does a lot of turbos big diesel turbos and i watched him ballance mine and there machine was a little smaller than that one and he said it was 180,000 new with all the shit that goes with it.

6. Daddy

http://www.schenck-usa.com/auto_prod_turbocharger.html

We have two schenck horizontal balancing machines, not the turbo ones. They weren't $180K either, somewhere in the 30's I believe (can't remember exactly off the top of my head).

If you can swing the extra dough go for the automated...then again it doesn't really teach you how to balance. Balancing a rotor of any kind is a work of art that takes quite a lot of experience to master. The more intricate the part, the longer it takes for you to learn how to balance it.

Schenck has an article on balancing turbos, they also sell a fundamentals of balancing book. I'd definitely get as much literature on balancing ahead of time so you can see what you are getting yourself into not only with balancing, but also what to balance your part to.

Good luck

7. jaredsamurai

Turbo balnacing is as easy as balancing a tire, except your removing weight rather than adding. I more or less balanced my own turbo in our turbine engine balance shop at work. We do some small APU rotor groups there that are on the scale of t6 frame 100mm'ish turbos. It wasn't hard to adapt down to my 66mm/p-trim. You litereally adjust the rollers so it fits, throw a belt on it, input a couple of dimensions on where the "plane" is that your balancing about and spin it. I'm not to clear on the RPM's or major setup but it seems once your're set up its cake. I litterally kissed the back of the compressor with a dremmel and it brought it right in.

Edit: I do not know how much that particular machine costs but it was clearly 80's tech with a small CRT screen and a dot matrix printer hooked to it. I can't see it being outlandishly priced.

8. jaredsamurai

This is more simple than the one I've used but it seems like it can't cost much. I don't know your budget though.

turbo balance.jpg #ad

9. PrecisionTurboMustang

That's absolutely insane.

10. furchaser

ooops

11. jaredsamurai

Huh?

12. PrecisionTurboMustang

Sweet what side do you load the deli meats? I like my turkey extra thin.

13. stangman9897

Not really like i said they are a diesel shop and work on turbos for huge diesels but could still do my 60s probably 50K in adapters all kinds of shit to to be able to fit anything.

14. furchaser

lol...stupid phone . disregard

15. metz1076

There is a difference between High speed and low speed balancing.Even though each component will be balanced(Low speed) there is a natural vibration which we call critical(3).In aerospace we balance at component level(low speed) and then the engine is balanced in the test cell during performance testing which we call trim balancing(high speed).In large turbines high speed is done unless the customer does it while installed.
    The high speed checks for critical unbalance through the total speed range.Low speed can be done at a very low rpm and is along the same as tire balancing.Low speed is done by balance grade(speed, wt,application)

16. stangman9897

Threads a year & a half old.

17. PrecisionTurboMustang

That was a great post.