1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4v 5.4 Turbo Street Truck

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by TruckGuy, Nov 14, 2016.

1. TruckGuy

Hi, I am preparing to build a new engine for my f150 so I am seeking some advice on parts selection.
    1. This will be a completely street build, no racing.
    2. 6000-ish rpm max
    3. Must run on 93 octane.
    4. This engine is expected to be operated daily.
    5. 500 crank hp goal
    6. Also aiming for the "unique" factor

I have sourced an 02 navi complete engine that will be rebuilt. I plan on using clevite77 hearings, Manley rods with ARP bolts and Manley pistons, ARP studs throughout. Machined navi heads with upgraded springs, undercut valves and some mild cams from Comp and single moderate turbo setup. This will be tuned by a local shop. Trans is a built 4r70w with a 2000 stall converter.

I have been reading over various articles and posts and I have seen some pretty lofty goals so my goals should be attainable ( think v8 version of EcoBoost). I use my truck for a daily commute but I also occasionally tow about 5000 pounds (usually the result of a friend's vehicle breaking down and I'm the one with a truck and trailer), but the lack of power to get out of a bind on the highway leaves me wanting for more.

All of this talk leads up to my question(s), what else am I missing? I might be going slightly overkill with the longblock but I don't want to ever have to take it apart. For a lower rpm engine would I go with lower static compression and higher boost or higher static compression and lower boost? I apologize for such a lengthy post but I am trying to provide as much info as possible.

2. StabbinStevem

Your 500hp at the crank goal can be easily accomplished with stock cams and a stock short block. Higher compression will make the truck more responsive when not in boost. You may have to run slightly less timing with the higher compression. For turbo, there are a ton that would work, from china turbos to name brand stuff. For your goals, I would say a T4 turbo with a 70-76 mm compressor wheel and a 75mm exhaust wheel (.96A/R). A turbo in that range will have awesome street manners with minimal lag.

-Steve

3. TruckGuy

Ok so what sort of intake should I be running? A single plane would be easy and straightforward but I am weary of its low rpm response. Then on the other end of the spectrum, a factory navi octopus intake seems like a tuning nightmare because to my understanding the 02 motors had the variable length runner system. So am I wrong about a navi intake or should I look into a coyote intake with adapters?