1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo 5.0 aode problems

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by nyctony, Sep 2, 2013.

1. nyctony

Was wondering wether your shifter handles heat up? I run a cooler however not one with a fan and the down pipe is pretty close to the trans so I experienced a rather hot shifter handle so bad that it felt like it would burn my hand of I held on to it after a few trans brake launches...

I wrapped the down pipe and it help considerably however it still warms up to a somewhat moderate temperature.

Does your shifter handle get warm or does it stay cool as if it was never run?

2. Turbo-Box

Never had a problem with mine.

3. Gen1SVE

Pics please. It would be alarming to have a hot handle especially since the trans and shifter are connected by a cable.

4. ducatibrian

Radiant heat thru the whole body, especially the floor. My shifter would be luke warm at times on mine. Better thermal control would help you with that.

5. nyctony

What would you like pics of?
    Shifter handle now since I did the wrap on down pipe is far less doesn't feel like its going to "burn" your hand but after some "spirited driving" on the street (about 1 hr of cruising and getting on it at times) it warms up a good bit I'd say on the borderline of warm to hot.

6. nyctony

It's definitely the heat from the down pipe however I think I need a cooler with a fan.
    Luke warm at times? More like Luke warm all the time and border line hot after getting on it them after that it doesn't cool down even of cruising or sitting for 30-40 min.

7. ducatibrian

Remember, once the floor gets hot, trans is hot it will take quite a while for that to cool. Extra floor insulation goes a long way. I would insulate the shifter mounting plate, never got hot enough on mine to want to do it.

8. nyctony

What kind of cooler? Where's it mounted? And how close is your dp to the trans?

9. ducatibrian

I had a stack plate BM cooler, regular race version, right in front of radiator passenger side lower corner, I had a regular Mac shorty pro chamber hpipe with the incon kit

10. nyctony

I think my down pipe is too close to the oil pan it's literally a inch away. My cooler is mounted under the car... Perhaps I should try to find a way to mount it up front

11. ducatibrian

If you have it horizontal mounted with little air gap, it will cool poorly.
    I would try to get some frontal airflow.
    It will work much better.
    I would also wrap the downpipe

12. nyctony

Down pipe is wrapped, going to try to find a cooler with a fan and mount it in the front somewhere

13. ducatibrian

Let us know what the outcome is.
    Interested to see myself.

14. ewoogy

Factory shifter? My hurst 1/4 stick gets really hot after a few passes at the track but it's all metal and mounted to a metal bracket that is maybe 1/2" above the trans case. I put some heat blanket stuff above the trans case under the shifter mounting plate and it's much better now. I'm lazy so I just screwed it to the floor, it had self stick stuff on one side but that never lasts for me. Got the heat shield blanket stuff from RPS.

Eric

15. nyctony

No I have the guest you have. Did that solve the heat?

16. ewoogy

I'm guessing you mean you have the same as me. Yes it solved it. It will get warm after long drives but nothing like it was where it was painful to hold onto. I'm pretty sure I got the stuff from RPS.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379040067.419597.jpg #ad

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379040085.031361.jpg #ad

Eric

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379040067.419597.jpg #ad

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379040085.031361.jpg #ad

17. nyctony

Is that like dynamat or something specifically for heat? Have a link?

Sorry yes I have the same shifter.

Did you check your trans temp? I haven't checked mine yet

18. ewoogy

No it's a heat shield product. Ill look for the link and post it up for you in the morning. Yeah I have a trans temp gauge. Still gets hot after long drives but my cooler is in a bad spot, at the rear of the car with a fan on it. It's on the list of things that need attention.

Eric