1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo 4.6 Modular - Which MS setup to run?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by ScreaminYellow04, Jan 28, 2013.

1. ScreaminYellow04

I'm looking at options for going aftermarket with my Engine Management. I'd love to go with a BS3 or a FAST unit and be one of the cool guys with the top rep equipment, but my budget doesn't allow that. Plus, at any conceivable level I will be at within the next 10 years, it just doesn't make sense from a cost perspective.

That being said, right now, I am 100% stock engine management. Factory (SCT Tuned) ECU, factory COPs with an MSD 2-Step.

I've already contacted Matt @ DIY and got his official recommendation and am communicating with him via email. I need other options though, my car is going in for a cage in March, and I need to get new seats at that time and I'm trying to do this engine management part in pieces so that I can squeeze it in without going over the top of the short term budget. I can sell off some extra parts and squeeze maybe $500/$550 out for this. That should get me the basic MS3 setup (MS330-K, Harness, MapDaddy4 and Stim & TunerStudio). Then I can add the Expander, Expander Harness and Quadsparks down the road and switch over to full control via the MS3.

Has anyone ever run Fuel only with a MS and kept spark control in the factory ECU? That seems to be the best route for to get the job done short term and then allow me to upgrade as money permits over the summer into what Matt has recommended? Basically, I've made some minor changes to my cam timing and I need to adjust my AFR right now, but I'm ok with my spark/timing ATM. I can adjust global spark timing + or - with my hand held. Is this doable or am I way off track with my thinking?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. yellowlt1ta

lots of people will run fuel only. just make sure that you dont share the temp sensor. check this out http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/installing_megasquirt_in_parallel.htm
    I have done it for a few years but I think its only worth doing if you will actualy use the MS for ignition later on if not you dont need to get the ms3 you could run fuel only with a ms1 and its alot cheaper just sayin.

3. ScreaminYellow04

I'm thinking of switching to LS coils and starting with an MS1 modded for LS coils. I want something simple that I can upgrade as my knowledge level increases. Truthfully, I don't really need much more than launch control/2 step, boost retard, fuel and spark. I don't think I really need tons of other features right now. But a bit down the road from now, I might want to do boost stuff with it (who knows). I do know that I'm thinking of moving to an LS engine after this modular, so this ECU would control both with minor I would think.

4. Disney Lincoln

I'm about to start a project building an MS2 for a 4.6L COP setup in a Foxbody. I am currently trying to figure out what all I need. I think just the MS2 kit and 8' cable will be all, but not sure yet. Email in to Matt about that now. Are you guys using the IAC controls?