1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo 3v advise

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Nemesis, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Nemesis

I am about three Weeks away from installing my turbo kit, the car its a 2006 Saleen S281 n/a 5 speed. I have been reasearching and buying parts to do this all at one time. The last thing I need to get are the gauges and SOS triple gauge pod. I like Prosport Halo series gauges and I know the two gauges I need to have are boost and wideband, which other gauge should I get? Oil press/temp, fuel press, egt? Ive been told to either gut the hi-flo cats that came with the kit or replace them with straight pipe, any input on this? Thanks!

2. 99TTGT

fuel prussure and A/F .

3. stangman9897

What kit are you putting on it.

4. Nemesis

So a wideband a/f ratio, fuel pressure and boost, that was my original plan, thanks. Its a Granatelli kit, 76mm Turbonetics bb,, Tial wg, hks bov, spearco fmic.

5. Nemesis

What is a good manual boost controller? My kit had a 6# and a 13# spring in the wastegate, 13 is too much and 6 is not enough, so my options are a 8 or 10psi spring or a controller. What would you guys recommend?

6. stangman9897

Leave the 6lb in it and put a boost controller on it .

7. 99TTGT

manual boost controler?
    go to sears and get a air compresor air pressure regulator. it will work the best
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-air-...p-00916025000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

electric is the best way to go. :2thumbs:

regulator.jpg #ad

8. stangman9897

9. Nemesis

Ive been looking at the turbosmart one, looks like a good piece. Id rather get an electric one but they're pricey for what i need. The sears one...lol is that a joke? Im not sure i want to trust that for controlling boost or in my engine bay, I've never heard of anyone using something like that, can you elaborate?

10. 99TTGT

Nope thats the same one that Turbonetics ,HKS ,Jegs & summit racing sells

A manual boost controler it is a valve regulating the amount of vacum/boost going into the waste gate.

I have use them many times, lots of cars out there making over 900rwhp with some of those on them...
    here are a few pics:

HKS.jpg #ad

turbonetics.jpeg #ad

sears craftman.jpg #ad

11. Nemesis

Ok, Ill look into it, thanks.

12. stangman9897

Randy does that come with a Craftsman sticker for the rear window. :D

BTW If he says it will work you can bank on it , he does this for a living.

There's your love for this week Randy. :poke:

13. Nemesis

:2thumbs:
    Thanks guys, i think I'm going with the turbosmart mbc, it's small , simple, and looks good, thanks for the help.

14. tt97cobra

I got this one from HP performance...

15. Nemesis

Ok cool. Anything wrong with it?

16. Nemesis

Pm sent tt97cobra

17. Nemesis

Thanks TTCOBRA, I got it, took it apart, cleaned off what looked like a little dirt and an oily substance. Looks good to go. Now I'm just waiting for some days off to keep going with it.

18. Nemesis

A little update on the install, I changed out the plates to the Steeda CMDP, did the 39# injectors, upgraded the fuel pump wiring, installed the Walbro 405 lph pump, intercooler, cold piping. Tomorrow I plan on doing the hot side and oil return from the turbo. Hopefully install the gauges/wiring on Sunday. We'll see how it goes, I'm ready to just be done with it, hope it's worth it.