1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ignition

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ben_jones, Mar 16, 2024.

1. ben_jones

Hey guys so I got a 347 carbureted twin turbo engine running with a crank trigger, right now I've got the msd 6al2 on it with the msd boost timing master ran together and I'm having issues with the setup for some reason. The spark is all over the place and the engine runs like **** no matter where I set the magnetic pickup for the crank trigger. I'm at the point where I just want to get rid of the 6al2 and timing master and just find 1 box that'll do it all. What box do you guys run is there any one box you recommend for this set up?

2. tbird

Understand you want one box.
    I gotta to ask , did you phase the rotor?

3. saltfever

. . . and you gapped the sensor the correct distance from the wheel? That distance is critical.

4. Russell

I really don't know what's out there to choose from. These guys might be able to help you fix what you have.

What are you using the car for? If you are racing it would consider Terminator X. It can control your timing, boost control, data log, etc. if you get tired of changing jets you can go EFI. :)

5. B E N

Is your crank trigger the right count for the distributor setup?

6. sam51

You need to have your ducks in a row with the crank trigger, the phasing and gaps have to be right or it will run poorly, but to answer your question, I ditched my MSD setup after having some problems with it and am now using a J&S Safe guard, it retards timing from a knock sensor and is boost referenced as well, it also has adjustable rev limiters one for top and and one for launching. its a pretty neat little setup but its not inexpensive.