1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo 318 ignition help

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by ramcharger beast, Mar 12, 2017.

1. ramcharger beast

i wanted to know what i should run for ignition im turboing my 318 soon and im colecting parts already just wanted to know what you guys you for yalls ignition distributor,ignition box and timing retard???

2. Mnlx

If going blow thru carb, a MSD 6530 with a map sensor is very popular, and can be used with most any stock dist. You can program the entire ign curve with boost retard.... just it, and a good coil.

3. ramcharger beast

So if I run a stock electronic distribution without vacuum advance and a mad 6530 and a ignition coil I should be good

4. Mnlx

Should be. I believe the dist uses a vr type pickup, so it should work just fine. You will have to lock out the mechanical advance though.

5. ramcharger beast

How do you lock them out I've done plenty things but haven't had to lock out a distributor

6. Mnlx

Some weld them, or sometimes you can buy bushings to lock it out. Its been awhile since i've seen Mopar dist close up, but typically it's pretty simple.

7. ramcharger beast

So I opened up the distributor and there's not even a mechanical advance in it it is also off a 89 style tbI 318

8. Mnlx

That makes that part very easy then....