1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Exhaust hardware and gaskets

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by westcoastwrenchin, Mar 11, 2019.

1. westcoastwrenchin

So I had a nightmarish situation happen to me the other day and broke an arp stainless 12 point exhaust bolt off in my aluminum lq4 head. I managed to drill the stud but had to heli coil the thread. The heads must have been painted as they're brand new but the bolt broke off taking it out! I thought I stalled the thread but I'm not sure, I was slowly removing the stud with hand tools.

This leads me to thinking is anyone running a stud and copper nut? I saw this on my Volkswagen before and it seemed like a really nice idea and you end up trashing copper nuts instead of your heads haha.

Also as far as manifold gaskets are concerned are MLS the way to go? I've head of some guys using a layer of copper rtv and thats it.

Thanks

2. B E N

High temp anti seize. I can see studs for the manifolds causing in vehicle removal and install to be a real pain.

3. Bad Medicine Racing

A nice flat surface and the OE MLS gaskets are best.

4. Disney Lincoln

First, don't use stainless steel into bare aluminum. They just don't pair well together. "Galvanic Corrosion" is the result. That's why no OEM uses SS into aluminum. Ever.
    For gasket, either use the stock LMS or high temp RTV. On LS turbos ive used the stock MLS so far without problems (yet).

nxcoupe likes this.
  5. fastspec2

I make sure the flange is flat and use a thin loop of right stuff silicone.

6. nxcoupe

Copper silicone here.

7. Mnlx

I like the oem mls gaskets for the ls stuff, but like most everyone else, I've had good luck with copper rtv as long as everything fits up good.