1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

tuning and setup questions on turbo/blowthru

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by John Boschma, Feb 15, 2010.

1. John Boschma

OK i'm looking to build a blowthru turbo setup.
    I'm starting out with a stock 93 5.0 mustang shortblock,stock gt 40 heads. basically i'm just going to use a RPM air gap intake a blwo thru carb and 66mm-72mm turbo non intercooled. the goal is 550rwhp and only spin it 5800-6000 rpm so it should live for quite sometime. this is not a drag car this will be a tall geared road&track car, kind of a do it all machine.it will see the strip for fun,and it will run on pump gas.

Ok so last year i built a 310 in. sbf renegade style motor with novi 2000 blower and a blowthru setup with 28psi making a little over 700+ at the wheels. that was easy.

Now my question is what about timing? on the supercharger setup i locked out the timing at 34* and never pulled any out.but everywhere i read, everyone says to pull out the timing on these turbo setups.and to achieve the 550 hp level i imagine i'm going to have to make around 24-28 psi to accomplish my goal.
    I just wanna make sure i set it up right the first time. do i really need to pull timing if i set it at about 32-34* total and lock it out with 26 psi?
    Turbos are completely new to me.

2. testchimp

John do you still post on yellow bullet any more? I would think you could make that power with approx 20psi. My bone stock grand marquis shortblock 154,000 miles and my ported E7's flowing 218-162 went 10.90 @ 127.5 with 14-16psi non intercooled @ 2950lbs. I appears it made 480-500 crank HP so you should be able to make that, but be carefull my block craked the mains, as you know they are weak. I ran 14-16psi with 23-24* timing anymore than that and your pushing your luck. Hope that helps?

3. John Boschma

yes i still spend many hours on the beloved bullet. but i figured i could get better educated on this site with all the turbo stuff. and most of the turbo guys on the bullet are big bad ass ballers. and the majority of guys on this site are homegrown hotrodders like me just trying to go fast with very little cash.
    yes your reply does help. i thought i might be a little high on the boost levels i might need to achieve what i'm looking for.I'm not concered with breakinga block i have 4 shortblocks waiting to be swapped out.I actually had a stock block making 520 to the wheels and i shifted it at 7800 rpm for 3 years before the cylinder skirt cracked.
    My biggest concern is getting this timing thing down? can i just lock it out at 34* and let'er eat or am I looking for trouble doing that?

4. testchimp

That much timing seems way high from my findings and others on this site. I ran 23-24* and some guys run like 20-22*. I would start at like 20* and creep up on it from there. I think you will find being non intercooled and iron headed that 24* might be all that's needed.

5. John Boschma

the only reason i considered that much is becuase of a stock cam, and the fact that it's a blowthru which really cools down the inlet temps over injection. and from what else i read that more timing helps with the quicker spool? but i've also heard otherwise as well. hell i don't know thats why i was hoping someone on here can get me pointed in the right direction.
    and i'm not one to sneak up on shit. i wanna go full tilt boogie right from the drop.
    but chances are i'll have to sneak up on it and see what the motor likes. :doh:

6. testchimp

If your running an auto trans then more timing will bring it up on the converter and spool it better, but if stick a 2 step or timing retard helps spool. The turbo will produce much more boost and cylinder pressure at a lower rpm if set up properly and will put more load on the engine unlike a centrifical blower that must be spun up before boost. You can also run a BTM to pull timing with boost.