1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

anyone using a AEM F/IC piggy back?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by mustang-junky, Dec 5, 2013.

1. mustang-junky

I was thinking of throwing a turbo on my '04 Grand Cherokee 4.0L. The biggest thing holding me back is the tuning. I would have to keep the stock computer for vehicle inspections. Visual check is not a problem, just can't throw check engine lights. A little searching around lead me to the AEM F/IC piggy back computer. They are priced reasonable, and if it will work with my distributorless ignition it looks like the hot ticket for me.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/f-ic-6-mag-or-hall-sensors-circuit-driver-inj-load-chrysler-631

WHAT IT DOES
    AEM's F/IC for 2003-2005 SRT-4 is a PC-programmable piggy back controller that allows users to retard timing and add fuel to the A853 engine. The F/IC works in parallel with the factory ECU and allows vehicles with CAN-BUS to retain the full functionality of the climate controls, cruise control, dash, and other components of the network.

WHY YOU WANT ONE
    If you have boosted your factory engine, or plan to in the future, the AEM F/IC is an affordable alternative to a stand alone engine management system that still allows for powerful tuning. The F/IC can work with either factory or larger aftermarket injectors, and can even clamp a factory MAF so you can run boost with your stock mass air flow sensor. This allows someone with an OBD-II vehicle to easily and safely add a turbo or supercharger to their vehicle yet still maintain every day driveability.

PRODUCT FEATURES

Works with latest OBD-II (or older) race vehicles including those with variable valve timing
    Variable valve timing controller based on engine RPM and load
    Injector inputs with simulated injector load used when remapping OEM injectors
    Injector controller for either remapping of ECU output (+/- 100% trim) or as a stand alone extra injector driver
    21x17 maps with configurable load and RPM breakpoints
    Analog in/out for remapping/clamping MAF
    F/IC can draw power from PC USB for quick and easy calibration changes - even when it's out of the car!
    On board 64K datalogger
    Drives high or low-impedance injectors with use of Peak & Hold Injector Driver Box
    Up to five channels of timing retard
    On board 41PSIA (25PSI boost) manifold pressure sensor

Anyone use one of these AEM units? Thoughts or other suggestions?

Jess

2. PrecisionTurboMustang

I ran one on my neon. Wired it up and stole someone else base tune and it ran fine. I never tuned it and didn't keep the car turnoff very long before I got bored with it and parked it. They have a very good reputation in the neon world.

3. 91turboterror

I was thinking of adding a turbo to my 99 wrangler it's pretty damn slow cuz it's a 4cyl 5sp Basically a 4.0 with 2 less cylinders. I got a distributor on mine though. 125 horses don't get you anywhere quickly.

4. midevil1

I run one on my daughters srt. Excellent setup for the money. Her car makes 418fwhp on pump gas, so it works well..

5. mustang-junky

My 4.0 is supposed to have 195 HP. Not that much for 3600 or so pounds. I was thinking of lifting it 4" and adding some larger tires, so I figured the motor would need some more sack to get it going. Another option is a 4.6 stroker. I like the idea of the stroker because I would not need to run premium fuel. Not sure f the stroker will be worth the effort though.

Anyway, thanks for the info/experiences AEM piggy back.

Jess