1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Noob with MegaSquirt Firmware Question

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by bighitbiker3, Jul 26, 2013.

1. bighitbiker3

Hey guys,

I just recently bought a boosted E30 BMW. I went to get it tuned and here's what happened:

It uses the DIYPNP with microsquirt daughter board. Now, I don't really know what i'm talking about so i'm just trying to convey what the guys at the shop said to see if any of you understand it.

He said he'd connect the serial and it would autodetect everything fine, however at that point it would launch a box that would say Serial Security Code and it would have a bunch of boxes as if it couldn't read the text. They said they've never seen this before.

The version that popped up was: MS2 Extra rel 2.1.1a with a little box shape as stated above.

Does anyone know a fix for this? I don't have any of the original stuff that was received with the DIYPNP/Microsquirt.

Any ideas?

I went back today as the guy thought he found a solution. The problem is that when we detect in tuner studio everything is fine. It'll say "check 'other' and click on the ... to locate your firmware" (the Internet search for the firmware). However the "..." Doesn't show up and it just says "browse" to check the local disk. We're connected to the Internet as well.

Is there anyway to dl the .ini file separately for my version above? Any of them from this link? http://www.megamanual.com/files/ini/

Thanks,
    Elliott

2. Matt Cramer

A serial security code is not normal. Are you using a USB adapter, direct serial connection, or what? Could you post a screen shot of the messages?

3. Drac0nic

If it's a "real" serial port is it a Dell laptop? I have heard of/seen/experienced several um "eccentricities" with the built in serial ports on Dell laptops. Also what's your port speed? You should be able to use PuTTY in serial mode or Hyper Terminal to connect to it as well.

Personally i'd hook it up to a desktop with a real serial port and see how it behaves if possible. I know not the most portable, but some times it's just easier in the long run.