1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

91 mustang with Holley Hp EFI

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Joeymust91, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Joeymust91

i just installed the Holley hp efi kit on my 91 mustang. i downloaded the 302 Turbo tune to ecu. Changed some things that matched my combo. everything looked good so when i tried starting it, it would just turn over and spit and spute but wouldnt start. I followed all steps for startup a few times. timing on car matches the timing in ecu. fuel pressure at 43psi. fuel pump turns on like it should. went through all my wiring and all looks good. i have spark. im just really lost at this point. any other suggestions from anybody?

2. 64Fatblock

What is your combination, in detail? It sputters on cranking, have you tried giving it a little throttle when its cranking?

3. Joeymust91

Dss stroker kit. Trick flow heads, Trick flow stage 2 cam, 60lb injectors, stock fuel rails, 255 in tank pump. Fuel pressure set at 43psi.... vac unplugged so when I plug it in drops to 38psi. I had a pms system before hp install and no problems (which the pms sucks) lol. Just seems like I'm getting to much fuel at cranking just not sure. I thought my timing was off but pulled the dis 3 times and set at 0 TDC compression stroke. Timed to 10*. Ecu says 10*. Also have 3bar map which I changed in the ecu. Any other info you need my freind??

4. Joeymust91

I am also running the ford iac which I pinned to B12 output.

5. Joeymust91

Crap forgot..... when I touch the throttle while cranking it makes it worse then seems to flood out

6. MustangMike

Check your plugs, I assume you will be pig rich since you downloaded a tune for 19lb injectors and are firing 60lb injectors. If you did change that in the tune you may still be rich. That ECU should have a clear flood threshold like 70%+ TPS, ie hold the pedal to the floor to keep the inj from firing. check this out before trying it.

7. Joeymust91

OK I did change to 60lbs injectors in the tune. Before that the injector was set at 66lbs. I think my flood reading is 20%. I pulled plugs also and seemed fine but I will change those out. I've been hearing about sync the distributor through the ecu??? Or just start fresh and install new softwear/firmware.

8. blown385

dont forget to do a TPS auto set .

9. Briansshop

Timing right and if you've done a TPS auto start, it should be getting fuel. So it's either not enough or too much. Plugs wet or dry?

10. Joeymust91

It's getting fuel. Plugs were wet last night when trying. But wouldn't start as soon as I tried.just spits n sputters. And it's been sitting for a week. Have a few more things to check today. Going to change plugs. Check timing again. Do you think I'm getting to much cranking fuel?? My cranking fuel at 50° coolant temp is 30. Seem to high??

11. Briansshop

^ That's right about where mine is at 50 degrees. Have you tried opening the throttle VERY slowly while cranking to see how it responds? Checked the timing with a light while cranking?

12. Joeymust91

I've tried it all my friend. Just did a spark check and weird results.... msd box good, coil good, pulled plug wires and had spark. Then I lost spark to the plug wires. But still have spark coming from coil. New msd distributor, cap and rotor. Decided to pull msd distributor and put my stock one back in and still no spark. I have spark from box to coil and coil wire but nothing to the plug wires...

13. 64Fatblock

How are you triggering your MSD box, are you using the white wire on your TFI harness from the distributor or the white wire coming from the engine harness? If you want to send me your Global folder I can check it over and see if I notice anything that sticks out. I do have several tunes I've done I can reconfigure to your setup to try and help you get up and running.

14. 64Fatblock

The fuel table in the 302 Global folder doesn't have enough fuel. This is a fuel table from a friends car I did. Very similar combo to yours but it is running 80lb hi imp injectors.
    upload_2017-3-22_23-27-15.png #ad

upload_2017-3-22_23-24-50.png #ad

15. Joeymust91

Awesome my friend. The car still won't fire. Haven't messed with it. Get at it this weekend. I went out today for a quick min to check spark without messing with anything since spark issue and guess what??? It had spark again. But still won't fire up. My msd is triggered by the white wire from tfi harness to msd white wire. And i have the red wire wired to my 12v cranking. I can try sending something to you tomorrow at some point. But the only things ive changed was the basic stuff. thing I did find out is that I downloaded the 302 setup and it's a 2bar map. But I have a 3bar map and alls I did was change that in the settings is all and I never messed with fuel map cuz thought it would change it all but really didn't pay attention either. Should I copy the fuel table you sent?? Is the cranking fuel to high on 302 turbo tune? When I tried starting it today it wanted to fire but felt flooded and wouldn't get to the spit and sputter point if that makes sense to you bud. And my fuel pressure went to about 60psi while cranking also. Turned key off then on to check the prime and went straight to 43psi. How can I post the file for you to check it out?? Thanks for your help!!!!

16. Joeymust91

The folder you sent reads 238 max map kpa which is for a 2bar map? Mine reads 315 max kpa when I changed it to a 3bar in 302 turbo tune.

17. 64Fatblock

The sensor will read to 3-bar but I suggest adjusting the table to fall 3 or so lbs higher then the KPA you plan to run. You get better resolution in the table when you do that which makes it a cleaner tune. If you plan on running 12lbs but your table is set for 28lbs you will be losing almost half your cells to values you will never use. You can email me your global folder to
    This content is protected
    be sure to include a note with target boost.

18. Joeymust91

Lol I'm glad your good at what you do cuz I'm lost lol thanks. I'll try sending that to you here soon. Thanks for willing to try helping me out

19. Joeymust91

I sent you my file to your email. Let me know if it worked or not please. Thanks 64

20. 64Fatblock

I sent you an email reply.