1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

tune question for turbo modular motors

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 97_Cobra, Oct 6, 2009.

1. 97_Cobra

i was curious if modular motors react the same to tuning the way other turbo cars do? i.e. fuel, timing, boost...i.e. buick gn's, turbo honda's, etc?
    take for instance a dohc with a built bottom end running an 80mm turbo, would it be wiser to run more boost less timing on pump gas or more timing and less boost? what is safer on the motor? what is going to warrant more power?
    right now im at 13psi and 16 degree's timing, would it be better the other way around say 16psi and 13 degree's timing?
    is there typically a rule of thumb for these motors? x amount of boost and x amount of timing for pump gas, race gas, etc?

2. 570cobra96svt

obviously, to be safe you always run lower boost.
    Ive never really heard of someone doing something like your talking about,it really allll depends on what your motor can handle, and what afr you want, and need.
    in my opinon, boost, which is pressurized air getting forced in, which is a ingredient of combustion, were as ignition/spark is a controller of the ingredients to make combustion (fuel,spark,air) now you are flipping the numbers, 13psi to 16 psi is and ingredient, and 16* to 13* is the controller, which dose work out, since you figure approxmatly around -1* of timing for every psi from the stock timing set, then again depending on fuel, if tyour running race gas, then you could run less timing.
    i would say keep the boost lower. adding more boost wich in my opinion will break a motor quicker, especially these mod motors, the only strong thing is the crank, the rods and pistons are like glasss, but if your runnin 16psi, you obviously have it built i hope.
    if you do raise your boost you pretty much have to lower your timing, but dont just swap numbers, and dont forget to add a lil' more fuel to balance out the extra air going in, and the timing be set correct.

i would keep the boost were it is say 13, because adding more boost will cause things like lifting a head, were as changing timing, it will just get detonation,de-ignition,and loose power, (could break a rod if the combustion happens to long after TDC) if its running good the way it is, leave it, especially if its a daily driver. if its your race car, go for it, but like i said it alll depends on your mods to the car, and what your doing. I keep my boost low, and the timing matching it, im running aroun 10psi, 20*and 93 pump gas, and all i have a brand stock dohc 4.6 shortblock, the only thing upgraded is the file-fit rings,bearings, and wrist pins, all the hardware.

3. donford50

see if you can figure out what the stock timing map might look like and use that timing for the non boosted section and the reduce timing about 2degrees per lb of boost. less boost is best... try to figure out the timing that your motor should be running try to keep afr in the 9 or 10 under boost .