1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can someone check my calculations please.

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by dbeck002, Nov 23, 2009.

1. dbeck002

Hi,

I am getting about 300 ft/s velocity through a 73mm opening. Boundary conditions for this hand calc are just ambient pressure and temp of air.

My calcs are telling me that at 800 CFM at STP the velocity through a C&L MAF is near mach 0.3. I find this difficult to believe.

My air density is 0.074 lbm/ft3
    cross sectional area is 6.487 in2 = 0.045 ft2
    mdot = rho * A * V doesnt lie

Does 1 lbm/s mass flow sound reasonable for a naturally aspirated 302 cu-in engine with AFR 165s and supported mods such as TB, MAF, manifold etc...

2. Hemann

I think your drive belt is a little loose.

3. dbeck002

sorry I dont understand.

Are you being sarcastic or is there some effect that a loose drivebelt has on the inlet velocity of air of my engine?

4. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

If your talking 1lb per mili second, it dont sound right.

A t-70 can move about 71 LBS per minute. This on a 302 is ruffly off the top of the head no calc) about 650-680 RWHP on a 302 (ruff guess)

Thats a minute.

I dont see a n/a motor doing that unless it was hella built, even then.........

5. MCA

Yeah ^^^ the only problem I see is with the 800 CFM, thats a lot for an N/A 302 how high are you revving this engine? 9k+ rpms for 800CFM according to my calculations, and thats on really high VE.

6. dbeck002

I just redid my calcs. at about 85% VE my engine would consume 445 CFM at 6k RPM. Velocities reach 160 ft/s which is still high but more believable.

7. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Yep sounds alot better.