1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

TT SBC Datsun 240 Z

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Turbo Meister, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Turbo Meister

I have owned this 1972 Datsun 240 Z for the last 17 years. It is 'street legal' and is drag raced, driven locally, and to car shows. In 2014, at the NMCA-WEST True Street race at the Pomona strip, The Z's brakes failed after crossing the finish line at 160 mph. The car went in the net head-first but I was not injured. Since I did not have the funds to rebuild the car, the plan was to part out what was undamaged. However, my friend Mack, owner of Mckinney Motorsports a Datsun performance and repair shop, informed me that he would rebuild the Z. He also assured me there would be no charge for all the required welding and fabrication.....Well OK....let the 'Resurrection' begin!

Here are 2 pics of the Z before the crash.

01.jpg #ad

02.jpg #ad

Pics of the damage.

03.JPG #ad

04.JPG #ad

1.JPG #ad

1.JPG #ad

01.jpg #ad

02.jpg #ad

03.JPG #ad

04.JPG #ad

2. BoostedDownUnder

Wow that sucks to see that happen to such a beautiful car!

Glad you are ok!

Can you share more info on your SBC combo?

3. ThomasWPT

Love the before pic, very cool car. I'm glad to hear she will live again. Cheers.

4. Turbo Meister

400 ci Chevy, Vic jr heads and intake, CSU carb with dual boost referenced power valves and PRO float bowls, MSD BTM, twin 72 Turbonetics Turbos.

5. Turbo Meister

The bad has been removed...the good remains.
    Dummy engine is in to allow fabrication around it.

2.JPG #ad

2.JPG #ad

6. Bernard

Hi Hans, I've said it before and I'll say it again....you drive too fast for a man of your age. lol

7. Turbo Meister

Nice to hear from you.

Yes, as long as I pass my NHRA competition license physical exam I hope to drive even faster!!!

8. Turbo Meister

Heavy duty tubing is welded in to strengthen and replace cut-off front end.

3.JPG #ad
    4.JPG #ad
    5.JPG #ad

3.JPG #ad

4.JPG #ad

5.JPG #ad

9. Turbo Meister

Frame rail was notched and boxed in to provide clearance for turbo down-pipe.

6.JPG #ad

Air-to-water inter-cooler pipe opening in firewall was plugged since inter-cooler would no longer be in passenger compartment.

7.JPG #ad

The stock 240 Z cross member was modified and reinforced provide easier oil pan removal with Chevy engine in car.

8.JPG #ad

6.JPG #ad

7.JPG #ad

8.JPG #ad

10. Turbo Meister

Mack provided the CX Racing stainless steel turbo headers and other hot side components. The header collectors had to be shortened to properly line up with the desired turbo and intercooler location.

9.JPG #ad

10.JPG #ad

9.JPG #ad

10.JPG #ad

11. M&M Turbochargers

what size turbos are you using??

12. Turbo Meister

They are 72 mm compressors with .81 A/R ratio, Q trim, Turbines. I sanded and polished the turbines and then had them ceramic coated. Therefore, I hate to have to cover them with heat-shields.

13. Turbo Meister

Here is the CXRacing twin turbo air-to-water intercooler.
    Both the inlets and outlet had to be modified for the intended application.

11.JPG #ad

This pic shows how the intercooler will be positioned in relation to the turbos and engine.
    The fenders are used but rust-free.

12.JPG #ad

Preliminary placement of cold-side 3 1/2" intercooler outlet to carb shows there is sufficient clearance between the carb inlet tube and the Meziere electric water pump.
    This pic also shows the Edelbrock Victor Jr intake manifold that I modified by removing the thermostat housing.
    Mack, then welded 16 AN male fittings to it for coolant hoses to the radiator.

13.JPG #ad

11.JPG #ad

12.JPG #ad

13.JPG #ad

14. ivanhoew

blimey i bet that brake failure was a focusing experience . what happened to make the brakes fail? lovely car by the way .

15. Turbo Meister

At the time of the "Incident" I was racing in the "True Street" class at Pomona, which has a shorter shutdown distance than other strips I raced on. After back-to-back runs without cool down, the brakes must have overheated after the third back-to-back run. The brake pedal felt hard but the brakes did not stop the car and I normally don't use the parachute because there is no time to repack it. By the time I decided to use it, it was too late and it failed to deploy properly. Although I upgraded my brakes for this build I will, from now on, always use the chute for the third run.

16. tbird

Meister, how did things work with the square tubing for your headers.
    Spool good?
    ET?

17. Turbo Meister

The square tubing worked well for the 12 years that I used them. I still have them but I was given the headers and so decided to use them. My best ET was 8.79 at 163 mph with the bigger turbos and square tube exhaust manifold. I'm estimating they spooled to 25 psi at 4500 rpm. If I launched at anything over 4000 rpm The Z would wheel stand or spin the tires.

18. tbird

Bad ass!!

19. Turbo Meister

These pics show the Z in primer at Tom's, a one-man paint and body-shop, recommended by Mack. Tom agreed to do the bodywork and paint for a reasonable price, so long as he could squeeze the Z in between other paint jobs.

14.JPG #ad

15.JPG #ad

16.JPG #ad

17.JPG #ad

14.JPG #ad

15.JPG #ad

16.JPG #ad

17.JPG #ad

20. saltracer

What are you going to do for cooling? thanks Phil