1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Tail pipes. are they holding me back.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by bk_cauley, Dec 5, 2010.

1. bk_cauley

right now i have a 3" DP and it splits into two 2 ¼ factory fox tail pipes and after i got it all back together the car is so much quieter. i have a single 3" race bullet in line. but for whatever reason the car seems to be a little slower now. expecially on the top end. are they really hurting me or am i making a mountain out of a mole hill. If they are i debating on stepping up to the flow master 3" tails. would those also be a restriction? i wouldnt think so but im not sure.

2. Andy Dorsett

What power?

3. bk_cauley

never had it dynoed. Tuner sold his dyno and we street tunded it. stock bottom end, stock cam, ported TW heads (325 I, 295 E @ .050 not 100% sure but close) typhoon intake and a 70mm turbo. through a t5 and 3:27 gear

4. 68mustang

i ran an 11.2 @124mph with 2 1/4 tailpipes that shouldnt be your problem, maybe just needs a tune up? new plugs, etc

5. bk_cauley

the entire combo is only a month or two old. it just feels weird for some reason when i added the pipes.

6. turbocoronet

I tested my back pressure with and without 2 1/4" tailpipes and there was a 4.5 psi diff. My system is a mild 440 with a single 80 mm t4 frame 3 1/2" down pipe split into my old 3" duals with ultraflows then two 3" electric dumps before the rearend then the two 2 1/2" tailpipes. Running 10 lbs boost there was zero back pressure after the turbine with the cutouts open. 4.5 lbs back pressure and noticeably less power with cutouts closed.
    I put the small tailpipes on to quiet down the old high compression 500 stroker.

7. bk_cauley

Do you reckon the flow master tail pipes will help out. they are true 3" all the way.

8. john01374

9. 68mustang

no, i agree that tailpipes will cause some restriction and some power, but how fast do you really want to go vs. how do you want the car to sound. are you really trying to get every last tenth out of the car?

10. bk_cauley

No im no trying to get everything out of it. and ive made my mind up when $ permits im going to switch over to the 3" tails.

11. 10secgoal

Best of both, cut outs ?

12. bk_cauley

Thats the plan. im probably going to get an electric one. i have a bolt on now and thats a pain in the ass.

13. 68mustang

talk about $$$ electric cutouts are pricey little buggers

14. 10secgoal

But banging the turbo at a light with them open is priceless !!

15. 68mustang

HAHA yea probably worth it, if I had the money theyd be on there

16. bk_cauley

i would rather spend it than lay on my back in some random parking lot.