1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

((((( UPDATED ))))) turbo supports. Tell me what you think?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mnm99, Dec 5, 2010.

1. mnm99

There very rough, but you get the Idea. I'm going to smooth everything out and ceramic coat them black. My concept is basically a support that will not be fixed, but will support the turbo,down tubes and cold side. The headers are made of 304 stainless. So with the expansion taken into account this is what I came up with. The headers are coated in and out by Extreme performance ceramic coatings. What do you think so far?

1.JPG #ad

2.JPG #ad

3.JPG #ad

4.JPG #ad

5.JPG #ad

6.JPG #ad

7.JPG #ad

2. BB_Mike

Re: Started my turbo supports. Tell me what you think?

Look strong. does the upper pertion just sit on the head-mounted bracket? jsut curious if forward growth of the assembly is a problem or not.

3. mnm99

Yes to your question I believe. One bracket is fixed to the head the other to the turbo with feet on both. It will give me movement any direction, except down up to almost an inch.

4. Stangguy

I am not understanding the need for it :huh: If you are going to mount the turbo directly to the engine, then you should have somthing for thermal expansion....like a bend or a flex joint.

5. mnm99

I have alot of weight that is on the headers. All of it to be exact... With the headers being stainless. I don't want to support them fixed. Look at the pics and see how much is hanging on the header. Downtubes, wastegate, and cold side plumbing. All on the header.

DSC01546.JPG #ad

DSC01464.JPG #ad

DSC01466.JPG #ad

DSC01548.JPG #ad

6. Stangguy

304 stainless? or 321? If you are using high carbon 304 then I DEFINATELY would be planning for lots of growth. Stainless moves a lot...most stainless hits have the turbo supported from its own hanger, then have bellows or such before the turbo. Or if the turbo is supported by the heades, then you will see big sweeping bends in the piping leading to the turbo. The bends are extra area for the metal to move without pushing directly on other areas that are braced...Otherwise it will rip it apart. Look at the Vecco kits, they are braced, which in turns rips the area apart where it is braced.

Take a look at a turbo technology kit.

7. mnm99

They are 304 stainless. Brian from BG did my tigs. I have never seen a bellow right off the header and then have the turbo supported fixed. I'm not saying your wrong, just I never saw one. That's the reason I'm not supporting fixed. From the layout of the header it's going to move forward and out. We'll see what happens.

8. 10secgoal

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/faq.php
    Why not with the hiem ? Hold the weight without restricting movement ? I'd be more worried about the wg tube cracking personally.

9. mnm99

Funny I was reading a post you wrote to me a while back about redoing my header design.
    I noticed in your link from Stainlessworks they have a Lifetime Warranty on there header. That first tube is pretty short.
    As for the hiem..Your saying to hang kinda? I don't have any room above the turbos to build anything. The hood is 3/4" away as it is. U have ideas?

10. 10secgoal

I saw the other pics, and that looks OK. I thought it was fixed by the pics. No, remember the hiems I showed you ? Allows it to move around the same as you have there. Just a little nicer looking is all. I thought you were skipping the idea all together. But they can go below or above. Doesn't matter.

11. mnm99

How would it support from below? Maybe I'm thinking of a different part? These are heim joints right http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Rod-Ends-Heim-Joints-Sleeves.html . The way I would see it is. If I bolted one end to my bracket and the other to the turbo supporting from the bottom it wouldn't work too well. With the 2 balls how would that support without falling over? Well you know it won't fall over, but if it wasn't attached to the header it would. Am I making sense? I could see it working from the top with no problem. This way the turbo can just hang from it and take all the weight off everything. Underneath it's like trying to balance a pencil on end.
    Edit... now that I think about it I'll look at the heim joints. Do you think I would have to be concerned about up and down expansion? with the heim that would be limited.

12. Stangguy

I am not saying what you have won't work. I have seen a lot of things that should not work in theory, that have worked just fine. Sometimes I think we OVER think things. With stainless I think you are better off not bracing then to brace. Let it move and retract where it wants. Don't wrap it either....Stainless is funny stuff. To each their own, just give it a try.

13. blown385

I dont see how it could hurt , unless vibration is an issue . Plus , you wont even see it when the motor is in the car .

Hell , its got to help when your coming down off the bumper . :chacha:

14. wiedemannc

Is running the wastegate exhuast to the turbo down pipe good or should it be going out sepertly

15. mnm99

16. mnm99

I was doing some thinking and decided to redo my supports. ( STILL IN THE ROUGH STAGE )The way I had it before I had no adjustments. The only adjustments I would have had was adding washers on the turbo support itself. If I did that the pads would not be flush. The way I have it now I can adjust up or down and the bracket swivels to keep the pad flush. Also with Brian from BG suggestion to add Brass pads to quiet the noise from the 2 mounts chattering. I don't know how to braze so I'm looking for someone to braze the pads on. Here you go...

DSC01895.JPG #ad

DSC01896.JPG #ad

DSC01898.JPG #ad

DSC01903.JPG #ad

DSC01902.JPG #ad

DSC01904.JPG #ad

17. 68mustang

you welded the braces didnt you? if so brazing is kinda like soldering, get the metal hot and stick in the wire

18. mnm99

Don't make fun of my welds ! I'm getting better. The good welds are on the front side anyway. Only took pics of the bad. lol Anyway... I don't have a torch hot enough to do it. I picked up a brazing rod and gave it a try with MAP gas , and it didn't work.