1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Trivia: what was the 1st turbo car & 1st american made turbo car.

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by rare bird, Jan 5, 2010.

1. rare bird

Trivia: what was the 1st turbo car & 1st american made turbo car.

Also include 1st turbo in every category including heavy equip.,etc.
    I have been pondering this for a while. It will take a true turbo freak to have this info!!
    By the way, I do not have the answer :noidea:

2. Tims86-9.80

Re: Trivia: what was the 1st turbo car & 1st american made turbo car.

1962 Oldsmobile F-85 Jetfire.

It is the first production turbocharged V-8 built in America: the 1962 Oldsmobile F-85 Jetfire. It was described as the hottest new Oldsmobile since the high-compression Rocket V-8s were first introduced in 1949. To continue with the advertising theme, it's nothing but pleasure the way Jetfire takes the hills and grades with performance plus. For Jetfire harbors a new kind of power under the hood'”the sensational Turbo-Rocket Engine with fluid injection. Here's turbocharged performance to the tune of one horsepower per cubic inch of displacement! And for a bonus, Jetfire features bright new hardtop styling with bucket seats and console as standard equipment.

According to published sources, only 3,765 Jetfires were produced for 1962, and another 5,842 of the redesigned version were produced for 1963. Oldsmobile phased out these unique cars when the new 1964 intermediates were introduced with body-on-frame construction, and a conventional 330 Cu In V-8. This also spawned the more conventional Oldsmobile 442 in response to the Pontiac GTO.

[glow=red,2,300]At least that is my guess![/glow]

untitled.png #ad

untitled.png #ad

3. bgjohnson

Were turbos invented to help air planes fly higher? Since going higher has less pressure, the turbo was supposed to help these airplanes achieve some crazy altitude for back in the day.

4. furchaser

The turbocharged engine was invented by Swiss engineer Alfred Buchi. His patent for a turbocharger was applied for use in 1905. But the first turbocharged engine was manufactured in 1938 and the first production turbocharged automobile engines came from General Motors in 1962. The world's first production turbo diesel cars were the Mercedes 300SD and the Peugeot 604, which were introduced in 1978. Today, many automotive diesels are turbocharged. Most Mahindra cars come with turbocharged engines. Mercedes plans to install turbocharger on all their engines for all car models. Many car models including the Tata Indica come with turbocharged engines.

5. Tims86-9.80

I beleive that is true and so was the supercharger. Also nitrous was used to improve air plan performance.

6. My91HotRod

From turbo's to turbine's with multiple stages of compression.

7. brianj5600

Wasn't the F-85 an aluminum block and heads V-8?

8. RyanMayo

Yep, also had water injection.

9. bgjohnson

Holy shit, that's sick!

10. rs88notch

i remember reading somewhere that military planes in world war one also used water injection.

11. 98z

The Corvair Spyder was turbocharged and it was introduced in 1962 as well!!! My dad had a convertable that was so clean you could eat off of it. It made 150hp which wasn't bad for the size and weight of the car but the later years were 180hp. All of the turbo versions were 4-speeds but you could get a powerglide in the n/a cars, they had a shift lever on the dash that looked like a fan switch and only had R N D no park!!!

12. huffer

The first application of turbocharger technology was in large marine engines, with the German Ministry of Transport commissioning the construction of the "Danzig" and "Preussen" passenger liners in 1923. Each of these two passenger ships had twin ten-cylinder diesel engines with output boosted by turbocharger technology from 1750 to 2500 horsepower.

13. rare bird

Yeah Tim you are truly a Turbo junkie! The diesels in mid 1920's were turbo in the german ships. The Cat diesel was the 1st earth mover with a turbo in the late 50's. What about european cars ????
    Honeywell has all this info on their site.

14. huffer

ahhh the power of Google :D :cheers:

15. Tims86-9.80

You can google just about anything!!!

16. Slim

17. Brent Davis

18. rare bird

Point taken! ok,ok but what are your most memorable turbo cars??
    1st for me was my buddies 80 turbo T/A , that thing couldn't get out of it's own way!! & I loved the low-med-high boost lights in the back of the scoop.
    Any idea how much boost those things actually made??

19. My91HotRod

Water injection was used in aircraft that were in Desert Storm! I believe the C-5 cargo plane used it but they now have been retrofitted with more efficient hi-bypass turbo fan mota's.