1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Modifying a narrow band as a tuning aid??

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by Nisan_Catron, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Nisan_Catron

Modifying a narrow band as a tuning aid??

can it be done? I have one and looking at the little booklet it has a chart like below (the black line). It seems to me if i select the right resistor (or better yet use a variable resistor) inline (between the O2 sensor and the gauge) I can move the "ideal" line closer to 12.5:1 AFR ... is this reasoning correct or am I missing something here?

narrowbandmod.PNG #ad

narrowbandmod2.PNG #ad

2. BottleFed70

There is little benifit to this. At WOT the ECU ignores the O2 sensor and uses the built in tables to decide how much fuel to inject. The ECU already knows it needs to be richer than 14.7:1. All you'd be doing is making the car run rich when at cruise.

You'd have better luck with modifying the signal from the MAF (or MAP depending on ECU type). As it's the MAF sensor and RPM that are the main inputs the ECU looks at when determining how much fuel to inject what at WOT.

3. blacksaleen95

wb02's are cheap enough these days. Get the right tool for the job!

4. Nisan_Catron

is this advanced tech ... a "think outside the box area " or a place for "let's do it like the box says" area?? lol... that's the way to make progress

5. red95gts

The resistor would modify the voltage output of the sensor, but wouldn't change the fact that the sensor itself is only accurate in/around 14.7:1

6. Nisan_Catron

ok, the way I see it is the sensor has a voltage range of .2v , from .4-.6 as being "ideal" and if the voltage is any higher than .6 it reads as being rich. If I put a resistor inline (O2 - resistor - gauge) and make it so the 1.0v now reads .5v at the gauge it should tell me ideal when rich....unless it's the sensor itself that goes from say .5v at 14.7 to 1v at 14.0 AFR ... so I guess that's what I'm really asking, at approx what AFR does a narrow band read 1.0v?

would anybody know what resistor I'd need to make 0.85v read 0.5v ??

7. RS377

are you assuming that 14.7 is really where you want to be?

8. blacksaleen95

I agree thinking outside the box is good... but you're trying to make the wheel square instead of round.....

AFR is probably one of the most important things in making a motor live, why chance breaking something by using a modded narrowband? I could see where this would have benefits like 10 years ago when widebands weren't affordable... but now I don't see where you're benefiting?

Props for thinking out of the box.

9. Nisan_Catron

sometimes you need a tach, others a shift light is fine. and at times a low oil warning light may be better than a guage....all I'm looking for here is a warning light if I go lean. maybe the title of the thread is wrong, idk. it's hard to watch a gauge and race, but easy to see a warning light.

10. BottleFed70

Thinking outside the box is great. What you are talking about simply won't work.

A narrow band O2 sensor is only accurate at 14.7:1 Look at your own graphs. All a narrow band sensor does is tell you if the mixture is leaner or richer than 14.7:1 There is no way to magically make it so that it is accurate at 12:1

11. svojohn

12. blown385

If you feel like spending the money , this will do what you want , and ALOT more . :D

[​IMG]#ad

13. Nisan_Catron

yea, probably! I think I'll just stick with the warning light for this one, you never know, I might even be able to run a relay from in combo with a hobbs switch it that would activate a fuel solenoid :2thumbs:

14. ford-swap

Ideas like this have been tried many times in the past, for many applications. None of them have worked.

The reason the UEGO really exists is because the limitations of the HEGO (narrowband) have been known for a long time. They just can't be made to work at anything other than stoich.

15. Boost Engineer

UEGOs are not really that expensive anymore either.

Tom Vaught

16. Drac0nic

Just Another Wide Band kit, I've got one here without the display it was 100 bucks or so sensor included.

bridal-shoal