1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

9" Ford center section carrier bearing race diameter??

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by TDmkr496, Dec 11, 2011.

1. TDmkr496

9" Ford center section carrier bearing race diameter??

So I have been collecting parts to build a 9" for my Chevelle and yesterday my buddy gave me an old center section as a dummy to line up the axle tubes. I measured the inside of the bores and they came out to 2.900". I thought stock ones were 3.062"??Did I just come across some old wierd shit or did they have different bore diameters? I know its not an 8" housing.

Let me know what you guys think....

2. stangman9897

Re: 9" Ford center section carrier bearing race diameter??

They should be 3.062 or 3.250 .Does it fit in the housing and all the bolt holes line up ?

3. HAULIN IT

The 2.892 bearing is not that uncommon. I believe it was the newer (mid. '70's up) version. The stuff out of the '60's seemed to have the 3.06. Lorne

4. TurboComet

X2 on the 2.892" bearing race diameter. Richmond makes a 35-spline spool that works with the small bearing if you want to build that case.

5. TDmkr496

Wow, thats interesting. If they make a 35 spline spool for the 2.892, why don't they make one for the 3.062??

6. 10secgoal

I don't know honestly, but I would call to make sure. Might be a simple race change to fit that carrier

7. TurboComet

Richmond spool part number 81-0935X-1 will work with both the 2.892 and 3.062 housings. Use Richmond bearing part number 29-0002-1 for the 2.892 case and part number 29-0004-1 for the 3.062 case.

8. yoteehunter

Not to get off topic but were do you get the bushings to put in the races and tube ends to run your alignment pipe through?

9. TDmkr496

You have to make them, or you can order a kit, depends on how crafty you are....

Why do they offer a 3.250 housing vs. a 3.062. I thought you had to use a 3.250 housing to use a carrier over 33 splines?

Can anyone shed some light on this??

10. cat herder

2.892 & 3.062 were factory sizes, 3.25 is an aftermarket invention. I always thought the same about spline vs bearing size, though it's been a looong time since I built a 9". Back then I heard rumors of some kind of crazy expensive conversion bearing that would fit a big carrier in the small housing, but I never actually saw one ('rare as rocking horse shit', I believe I was told). :noidea: