1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

IDS/VCM info wanted (Any ford techs around?)

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by pdonk93lx, Dec 17, 2011.

1. pdonk93lx

This may be more geared toward the b.s. Section but I figured I'd get more attention here.
    I find myself working on fords on a rather frequent basis, and since everyone in the shop hates them and I would really prefer to fix a ford than just about any other shitbox I am thinking about buying an IDS VCM. Any ford techs here that own or use one frequently have any suggestions, or anything i should know before i spend the $2500? The shop I work at right now averages 50 vehicles per week from oil changes to motor jobs and everything in between, and it seems as though any given week there's at least one powerstroke in there (actually three as of Friday) and nobody else is willing to work on the diesels except me, which I don't mind at all but I seem to have a hard time with the snap on scanner and all data combination trying to effectively diagnose issues with the diesels. We recently acquired two fairly large commercial company accounts both having fleets of PSD's that are for the most part shitboxes.
    With that being said the shop is equipped with all data, a snap on solus, and a myriad of b.s. generic obd code scanners. I am not too concerned with the cost of the tool, just more concerned that it will be a worthwhile investment to my already extensive tool lineup. I figure if it can cut 15% or more time out of diagnosing the vehicle than it's a more than worthwhile investment. Especially if module reprogramming is taken into account and downtime and cost of a trip to the dealer is taken into account.