1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

head too small?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by silver408coupe, May 25, 2008.

1. silver408coupe

Noob with lots of problems.. here it goes. I have a 408W short block. 28cc dish pistons, Eagle forged crank and H-beams in a 69' block. No cam yet. Sold the old cam and heads to go what I thought would be 9's on motor. New baby has changed many things recently though. So I picked up some old Canfield 192's (1997) for cheap.They are unported but somehow have 70cc CNC'ed chambers even though Canfield never made any. They have 2.05/1.60 valves. Springs and cam will be matched as they are supposed to be once I have decided on the final combo. I also have a Super Vitor intake unported and an 850 Mighty Demon carb. It will be either modified or sold for something that will work. The big chambers on the heads would kill the compression for an all motor deal. This got me thinking towards a turbo. I am shooting for 700RWHP. I will be on a very tight budget. So I am open for suggestions on a DIY install. I don't want to add what I am thinking as far as size of the turbo because I see all kinds of combos here and just want input. I am leaning towards a single turbo, maybe non-intercooled if I can reach the HP goal and blow through. I can get 3" SS piping for cheap and have it fitted and welded for beer cost by a friend. Fuel system will be upgraded accordingly as well.

Transmission is a PA super comp C-4. Tires are 275/60/15 MT DR's with a 4.10 gear which I will probably change to a 3.55 if it will still pin me back in the seat. More importantly is streetability. I want to drive this thing. I might be able to trade to a TKO 600 soon.

Suspension is all UPR pro series stuff front and rear except for a stock K-member still. it's all in a 89 coupe.

So can it be done for say less than $2K. It needs to be cruiseable on pump gas too. Am I :stupid: for asking too much? I think the heads will kill the whole thing but I really don't know. Please help or I just might sell it for what I can get out of it. It's depressing seing this thing on the stands collecting dust. Sorry to get long winded but I didn't want to leave anything out.

2. Robert1320

S400 75mm (little small but will make 700hp)
    w/ drain, ex v-band & stub
    JGS 50MM W.G
    JGS 56mm BOV
    EV Bonnet

You can get all of this for about $1500.00

DIY exhaust and Hanger 18 carb mods

Sell the BG and get a Holley.

3. silver408coupe

Thanks for the input. I still have doubts about the heads. Will they be OK? Also what kind of boost numbers do you think it will take. I was trying to save some coin and have it non-IC but only if it can be done and be safe. Will 1 5/8 shortys be enough or should I hack up my 1 3/4 longtubes and fab something up? I have heard of going bigger primaries and losing power on a differt thread but since it is a 408 I don't know.

Any other input will be greatly appreciated.

4. Robert1320

Nothing wrong with bigger headers. Do you need them for 700hp, no.
    700 is realy not a lot.

5. camaroe3

I order my turbo ,bov, and wg from robert . fast shipping on great products! give him a call. now what do you plan on using on the fuel supply ?

6. wgsr-1

I have 180cc trick flows on my 406 sbc with the exact turbo Robert said buy. I am very happy with it. Will bigger heads make power? Sure, but I can't hardly use the power I have now. I say stick with what you got, and get it running. And for driveability, buy a carb from blow thru site sponsor. I built my own, but was alway kinds skittish about it. I bought a 750 from CSU, and couldn't be happier.

7. silver408coupe

Thanks for answering those questions. The old Cans had me worried. As far as the fuel supply, right now I have a nonreturn system consisting of a Summit billet pump (basically an Aeromotive Hot Rod pump) that's suppossed to be good for 600hp. I think it's something like 140gpm. An Aeromotive regulator and all braided line. It's -10 to pump, -8 to reg. and -6 to the carb. I know I will have to change it to work. I guess some pointers on that would help because if I run 10psi of boost I will need a pump that can push say 17psi of fuel, correct? Oh and no-one's answered the non-IC question I had. Will it have to be IC or not. I would like the engine bay to be as clean as possible so I don't want a lot of piping snakinig around. I like it alot on other cars but on mine I want pretty much just the engine to be there. Smooth engine bay taking alot of time right now, I want to show it off. Probably put the turbo in the front as close to the inner fender as possible. I think the carb bonnet has to be at about a 45 degree angle to the carb to work best so the pluming will be as short as possible from the fender to it. I am also thinking of the weight and placement for weight distribution. What do you think?

Please keep the info coming, it really gets the wheels turning!

8. Robert1320

I think that pump is the same as the SS pump and it will not work.

Honestly

the W is only good too 700-800hp.
    The C4 will most likely die.
    The heads are a little small.
    You need a cooler unless you are running C-16 (maybe not a 700hp)

Not being an arse but I think you need to search around and/or hire someone to help.

700 hp isn't cheap
    a motor to support your desired power
    a fuel system to support your desired power
    a drivetrain to support your desired power
    a chassis to support your desired power
    And last the wallet

9. silver408coupe

No offense taken Robert. I know there are many changes that have to be made. I am doing as much reading as I can here but I wanted to put the questions out to get an idea of what I would be needing for a very stout combination. You guys are much more knowlegeable than I am. The car will no longer be a track car but I will make the occasional visit. I want to drive it and have fun. If I am being unrealistic about the HP number I want to make, I am not caught up in dyno numbers. If my car with X amount of HP can out run another car with 900HP, I'm cool with that. I know dyno numbers don't mean squat when the tree drops. Maybe saying I want to make as much power as possible with the longblock and intake is better. The things I can't change however are the short block for sure. I might switch to a TKO600 with a McCloud twin disk but I don't know if that will hold up any better. The heads I already have, so the easy thing is to keep them and see what happens. An upgrade at a later date is always possible. The IC will go in for sure. I figure I will want more later so why not just put it in and not have to worry later. I will keep the Super Victor and ditch the BG in favor of a purpose built BT carb. The rest of the fuel system will be replaced as well.

Thanks again, all input whether it seems negative or not is welcome. I won't get all :'( if something doesn't sound right. After all, I'm asking for help right?