Trent Kendall's 1991 Mustang GT

Discussion in 'Featured Turbocharged Cars and Trucks' started by TTF/Ken, Apr 25, 2013.

By TTF/Ken on Apr 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM
  1. TTF/Ken Staff Member

1. General Info:
    --Owner:  Trent Kendall
    --Vehicle (year, make, model): 1991 Ford Mustang GT
    --Original vehicle engine (displacement, torque, hp) and condition:  Original engine was a factory ford 5.0L 302, 225hp
    --Background/story on car (2-3 paragraphs, describe project from start to finish in general terms) I can shorten this if you like, I figured the more info the better.

This 800hp street machine was built by myself and my hard working and generous friends in my garage. It has been and remains my only 4-wheeled transportation since I bought it in 1999. It has been an incredibly long road to get the car where it is today. It has seen 6 or 7 different engines and many more different combinations. Here is a summarized history of this car.

It was 1999 and I had owned my stock 1988 GT for a year when I caught the horsepower bug. I had originally gotten into 5.0L performance with the help of my dad. We had installed a 92 SEFI 5.0 HO in our 82 Bronco and we added TFS heads, cobra intake, headers, rockers, etc. So, rather than starting with this high mile car I decided to start looking for a newer low mile Fox GT. Searching around for many months I finally found this car posted on Corral. It had 47,000 miles and it was in San Diego. I met the owner halfway from Phoenix in Yuma and bought it. I started off by bolting on the TFS Heads and Cobra intake off our 82 Bronco and a custom Ed Curtis cam.

It turns out my TFS heads were the really old and faulty pedestal mount ones which TFS was still fixing for free. Of course I couldn’t have my daily driver down for a few weeks waiting for the heads to get fixed so I ordered some AFR 165’s from Ed Curtis and a larger cam. This combo made decent power at 290rwhp but I wanted more so I bought a friend's old NOS dry kit, which I rarely used because I was too poor to fill the bottle. Eventually I wanted more naturally aspirated power so in December of 2000 I attempted to upgrade to a stroker engine. The first 331 stroker was built locally and it used all my induction parts. Unfortunately this engine never had a chance, after engine break-in we took it for a test spin and it blew the rear main seal out immediately and we didn’t know why. We replaced the seal twice but it still kept blowing out. On the dyno it made 330rwhp and 360rwtq and it was a blast to drive. However, 3 weeks later a leakdown test revealed 30% in 2 cylinders and 7-15% in the others. That explains the rear main seal blowing out and the oil consumption. So a 2nd was built under partial warranty and installed by the shop this time. I was really excited because if the old engine made 330/360 with issues, then there was no telling what a strong 331 would make! However, the 2nd engine suffered the same bad luck of oil consumption and rear main seal problems and after a few months it had 30% leakdown in several cylinders. During the downtime between rebuilds the car was down for about 4 months and I was stuck driving my sisters awesome 1984 Toyota Cressida.

I was now in deep with Mr. Mastercard so I decided to get a low mile cheap, rebuild 306 from a friend. My friend’s and I swapped it in over the weekend. I was back down to 290ish rwhp but it was good to have my car running good again and not burning a quart of oil per week. It was now late in 2001 and I still had the old nitrous kit and the car had run a best of 11.88 @ 116 on a 150 shot. It was a lot of fun but the nitrous refills were killing me. So I started researching blowers and turbos. I was astonished at the lack of info on the web for turbocharging and Mustangs so in October 2001 I created a small website

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019

Comments

Discussion in 'Featured Turbocharged Cars and Trucks' started by TTF/Ken, Apr 25, 2013.