1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

trans fluid? Lentech recommends Swepco???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by zelone, Sep 23, 2004.

1. zelone

What type/kind of fluid are you guys using in your AOD's? I plan to install a Lentech VB real soon. When I asked them what fluid to use, they say Swepco 714 20W. Its not like they sell that on every corner. Any other suggestions? Its a relatively fresh AOD with hardened internals and all upgrades, and will be getting a Strip Terminator auto/manual VB. Has a 2800 non-lock Precision Industries converter and a B&M cooler. Thanks.

2. Disney Lincoln

Any brand Type F.

3. Logic Bomb

B&M Trick shift?

4. jbi66

Motorcraft type F. Originally made for an AOD and wont break the bank.

5. 1QUICK86

ttt

type F.....only

6. SWT Racing

FYI. . .Type F was made long before the introduction of the AOD.

That being said, Type F is a superior fluid as far as racing transmissions go. I use it in my Powerglide.:D

7. zelone

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will pick up some Type F before taking it apart.

Currently, I have been running dexron/mercon in the AOD as it sits. Will the remaining amount of d/m thats still in the converter and trans mix ok with the Type F? Maybe I should drive it a few miles and drain and refill it again to make sure its mostly Type F in there?

8. Disney Lincoln

It will mix just fine. I wouldn't worry about that.

Main thing to remember on Transmission fluid is, So long as its RED, it's good. Avoid the stuff that is different colors. That shit just dont work very well. I chased trannies around a few years back while I was using that Trick Shift crap, and while at WFC, I talked to Harvey Baker about it and he said NEVER use anything thats not red. After than, no more problems!!

9. TurboNova

I use Amsoil

If you call Coan transmissions and converters they will tell you to run Amsoil and that is reduces trans temp.

I also got sponsored by Amsoil this year. I had my trans apart after two seasons this year everything including the clutches looked almost perfect. My trans guy couldn't believe it. Amsoil has a Super Shift trans race fluid, It is pure synthetic and I won't run anything else after seeing what the inside of my trans looked like.

You can get this fluid from me or do a internet search for Amsoil and you should be able to pick it up from a local dealer or their website.

10. Turbo50Mike

What about the John Deere tractor fluid? Alot of the Powerglide Outlaw racers swear by it. Anyone use it in a C-4 or AOD?

MJB

11. TurboSN95

Type F if you use a trans brake
    Mercon Dexron otherwise... At least that is what I remember Lentech telling me a while back when I got my transmission from them. They said the Type F has little metallic particles and they help when using a trans brake.

12. zelone

Pretty funny stuff here guys...

Some say Type F, some say D/M,
    Some say synthetic, some say regular,
    Some say B&M Trick Shift, some say if it aint red, dont use it,
    Still yet, someone says John Deer tractor trans fluid!!!

I never would have guessed there are this many opinions on trans fluid.

BTW-I dont have a trans brake.

I think I am going to use regular Type F to start, but will eventually switch to either the Lentech recommended Swepco or the Amsoil. I will have to do some research on them to see which has a better track record.

Everyone, thanks for your opinions.

13. onefaststang

I have run mobile 1 synthetic since I had my AOD built. Thats what the guy who built it recomended. Expensive, but it works great. You can buy it local too. I ran that B&M junk once. Ruined a trans with it. Never again.

14. RI85GT

Napa Type F

15. TurboSN95

I just looked at Lentech's site and see that they recommend that Swepco 714. Then I noticed they offer a 10 wt and a 20 wt in the at Swepco 714. Anyone know which one to use? I usually buy the cheapo Type F at Pep Boys or Auto Zone, but if this stuff is recommended and possibly will lower my transmission temps, I'm all for it. It was about $25 a gallon.

16. Turbo50Mike

Mix a gallon of each together and it'll be 15w - Best of both worlds!

MJB

17. TurboSN95

Per Len at Lentech - "For high HP use the 20W"
    I might be ordering this stuff... how many gallons is like 12 quarts?

18. 64duece

Type F was developed by Ford back in the sixties when they had slippage problems with their clutches. The fluid was designed to hold the clutches better and is considered "sticky" vs it's common Dextron/Mercon counterpart.

Trick Shift, I've only heard not to use it because of falsley showing reduced trans fluid temps. The reason was the fluid did not carry the heat from the parts as well. This supposedly showed up in lower fluid temps. I can't confirm this.

As for "John Deere" tractor fluid. Wat they are using is hydraulic oil. I use it in my Powerglide. It holds up extremly well to heat and appears to hold well under power. The stuff I use is called "Blue Hydraulic Plus" made by Castrol. It's tinted blue and easier to see leaks and readings on the dipstick. It doesn't cavitate or boil out as quickly and your typical fluid. It's helps many bracket racers that go rounds and don't have time to cool between.

19. TwinTurboStrokr

4 Quarts to a gallon..

So 3 Gallons..

20. TurboSN95

Duh.. that whole liter quart thing threw me off. Thanks. Wow that's a lot for transmission fluid.