1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Trans auto or manual, C4 ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by SkylineUSA, Jun 20, 2005.

1. SkylineUSA

I am building a 650/650 engine. '69 351w with a ITS T-76. I live in England, so shipping is a problem. There is a guy here in England selling a C4 for $290. Can I build this auto to support that kind of power level? If you had the choice, would you go auto, or save your pennies for a TKO 600?

I need some input, bad. Thanks guys.

I tried to search for a c4, but its too short.

2. BoostedOne

I dont know what you mean by 650/650 off the top of my head, but...
    Go with the C4. They can handle over 1000hp if built right, but thats not going to be done in your garage, especially if you have to ask how to do it. A friend of mine has had good luck with a place called Pro Trans out in California behind is 1300ish HP 2.3L 4 cyl.
    Dont bother with the 5 speed. As the old saying goes, you cant outshift an automatic. Furthermore, you cant load a 5 speed on the line, you have shorter gears with the 5 speed, etc. Automatics are cool. Driving around town it drives normal. Put the transmission brake on though and it goes to about 3500rpm sitting still, and as soon as the brake is off and it builds more boost the engine swings right to 5K and stays there until it has to go faster to make the car go faster.

3. 93GT

Rebuilding a c4 is not that hard. I'm rebuilding mine in the basement right now.:D There is nothing magical about it, but you need to upgrade quite a few things to handle 650hp and also depending on how heavy a car you're putting it in. Your best bet is buying either Performance Automatic's Super Comp or Dynamic's mighty might if you can. By the time you put all the good parts in that they have in theirs, you are close to what they cost. Or if shipping something that heavy is a problem, buy all the upgraded parts and build it yourself or take it to a good shop. Check out this forum for lots of info on the C4.
    http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=13&3714

4. SkylineUSA

Oh, 650/650 means around 650hp/650lbs of torque, roughly.

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes, shipping is pretty expensive, so I guess I will buy the upgrade parts and rebuild the transmission. I really don't think a shop around here is a good choice for me. Basically with the £ rate what ever it costs you guys get the work done there, its double for me.

The car should weigh around 3050, with me in it, so it should be fairly light.

Thanks for the link, its just what I needed. I guess I'll go with the C4 then.

5. jbi66

Now this is something I have to see some pics of.

6. white95v6

i love my C4. it rocks. no more missed shifts. none of those 5spd problems. so far my PA C4 has worked flawless. and it went 8 tenths faster with the auto.:D

7. dsman

If they made an auto with a 'brake for DSM's I'd drop my standard like a bad habit. It's so much more fun to have it come up on the converter and bring boost in instantly than to deal with a clutch and all that bullshit. As long as you don't miss OD, C4 all the way.

8. SkylineUSA

I saw it mentioned that an auto is not good for the street, when its built for a strip car. Does it depend on the stall?

9. white95v6

my PA super comp is great on the street. i drive it 45miles one way to work. but yea the converter matters on how it drives. also make sure that you have a nice trans cooler. keeping those things cool is important.

10. SkylineUSA

Damn, that is one fast V6 you have there, big props to you. Thanks for the advice.

Which torque converter do you run?

11. Disney Lincoln

Learn how to drive!!!

Let me guess...You weren't able to do a burnout so the tires never hooked?

12. white95v6

i run a PTC converter. we are still working on getting it right. its a work in progress. once i get it all worked out i hope to drop some more ET.

13. white95v6

lol boy i am gonna get you next time you are in town.

trust me the burn out was not the problem.;) i was still spinning the tires at the tp of the 8th mile. plus i was on too small of a tire.

i will show you a burn out next time you come to the boro.