1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Traction? Tire recommendations

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by 98firebird, Oct 9, 2012.

1. 98firebird

Right now I'm only learning and watching what others are doing with their projects and picking up techniques. Anyhow, when I begin and finish my RWD project, I hope to have around 750-850hp at the wheels. My suspension will be a street/autocross type setup. I don't plan on taking the car to the drag strip much if at all. The weight may be around 3200-3400 with me in it. The rear tires will be 315/35/17 on an 11" wheel. I really hope to get traction at 30mph and up. The car will be driven "daily" on highways, so I hope to get around 10-20k miles on them.

I would really like to keep all 4 tires matching, I'd prefer not to have to get radials or slicks. I've used the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 before on the same car with little whp, the driveability and autocross traction was superb. I don't want to spend $900 on 2 315's in this size if it's just going to be spun away easily. What do you recommend? Examples (your setup) would be awesome...

~G

2. Disney Lincoln

Nothing short of a drag radial will hook your 800whp car on the street. Even that will be sketchy as hell unless you've got a good drag set up, which you say you won't. Sounds like your best bet will be to get a good boost controller and dial it way back for street settings.

3. TT_05_Stang

I run a Nitto DR 305 45 17's and they hold my power in a stick... but mine weighs a little more... closer to 3900 with me in it

You would want more sidewall, and a DR

4. 98firebird

Sounds like a drag radial or slick is my only hope. I suppose when it comes time for a long trip, I can slap on some more comfortable tires. 335 35 17 doesn't have much more sidewall, but it'd work well as a drag radial.

5. BoostedBadBoy

Thats your only hope is a DR with 800ish rwhp if you want to grip... There are cars running 17's in the 8's here though on that combo. I see your a fellow Michigander as some call us... lol Where abouts in MI are you from? If your by any shops I know maybe I could give you a reference and save you a few bucks on your transaction. But as far as street tires and power just don't go hand and hand as stated. Especially wide... it will hold longer before breaking loose but once it does that assend is around the front faster than you can say oh shit hold on. lol Its more tread to grip but at the same time its more surface to slip once the seal is broken from it. But if your lookin for sticky compounds and lower stance many use Import style tires. Nitto.. Falkens... Yoshimo or something along those lines... lol Just search it and it will pop up. But many of those have good compound and great street life especially under power. If your looking for auto cross style tires.. look and search what they use, or drifters... both would suit what your wanting.

6. tbird

the less sidewall you have the harder it will be to get hook also. Sidewall absorbs shock on the tire. Thats why so many go back to 15 inch rims for drag racing.