1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

TPS voltage set on a turbo auto

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 1skcobra, Mar 30, 2013.

1. 1skcobra

What is the ideal TPS voltage reading set for a turbo or any force indution cars,is it any difference on 5speed and auto or is it the same thanks for any advice.and what are u guys set at?

2. mustang-junky

Type of car?

I can't see how it would matter though.

Jess

3. 1skcobra

No body as answer this question wow all i know is on supercharged and turbo it should be around .98-.99 to 1.000 volt,and on N/A around low 90s .92 to .95 volts my combo is as follow DSS 331 turbo 95mustang cobra super76 turbonetics afr185 1262gasket,trick flow R intake,75mm throtle,83lbs injectors,th400 built with trasn brake. i just want to know what u guys out there are setting your tps on force induction specially on turbo cars thanks.and whats working and not working properly

4. Mike86Stang

like mustang-junky said, it doesn't really matter with regard to supercharged/ na etc..

The TPS once it hits 1.0v tells the eec the car is accelerating.. set it at .85 the car will just seem more sluggish just off throttle, set it at .98 and throttle response will come along way and feel more aggressive and crisp.

From the perspective of a performance application you want to set it as close to .99v as you can just so you can get into the WOT table a fraction of a second faster. Set it at 1.0v and it will most likely surge, buck, and the idle will hang.

As far as myself I always set it at .98 regardless of whether it's na / N02 / turbo/ or supercharged.

5. 1skcobra

Thanks mike

6. RyanR

Yeah Mike is dead on the money, at close to 1.0 as u can get it .98-.99. I ran into into this with my old Lightning, which wouldn't idle right for chit... checked voltage to the tps at key-on and it was at like 1.05... set to .99 and all was good. Good luck man

7. 1skcobra

Thanks RyanR,very important topic,and basic at that,any one can do it at home.sounds good.

8. madspeed

Everytime you restart the car its value is recalibrated by the puter as long as its within range

9. madspeed

10. madspeed

1skcobra, can i ask how your stock block is holding up? How much hp and how long youve been running like that? Reason iask is im just finishing up my 70 mm turbo install on my stock block 333

11. Mike86Stang

That is food for thought.. not saying you or anyone else is wrong, but that info doesn't match my personal experience.

12. RyanR

Must be a new thing.... never heard or had any experience with a tps like that...

13. TomR

If you look at the code in the Ford computer, you'll find the computer doesn't care what the exact voltage is so long as it is in a range. It would be silly for Ford to have it any other way because of the carbon pot used to indicate throttle position aging and changing value over time, or the pot getting "dirty" and producing erratic voltages. The firmware programmed idle range for the EEC-IV is 0.6 volts to 1.1 volts. If voltage is in that range, the computer considers it a closed throttle. The ideal place to set it would be the geometric mean of the two extremes, or the sqrt of 0.6 * 1.1, or 0.812 volts. This places the upper threshold and lower threshold the same percentage away from the target setting. WOT threshold is factory set at 2.71 volts higher than what the computer learns is the idle voltage. It learns things, but those are the base thresholds.

The bigger question is, since the strategy clearly tells us it works this way....why do rumors persist that a certain voltage is required for response or idle? Ford never provided an adjustment, yet people modify the pot to be able to fudge it around. Why wouldn't Ford have set the voltage at the factory on every car, told their mechanics to set the voltage for service, and provided a way to do that, if it actually affected performance?

14. Mike86Stang

Nice! I like your reasoning and it makes perfect sense. As you said yourself once you cross the 1.1v threshold you are out of "closed throttle" hence why having the TPS voltage set higher gives the feel of better/ crisper throttle response. IE.. less throttle input to move into a non idle mode. Maybe was just a weird quirk my car had with a hanging idle above 1.0v on the TPS?

15. TomR

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure why things feel different for you, but the change doesn't really affect the throttle position for me.

I'm not sure what the time to move the pot from idle area to WOT is with a fast accelerator push, but I'd guess about 0.1 second. Let's call it a slow .2 seconds. (Maybe someone actually knows how fast a foot can travel 2-3 inches.) The voltage changes about 4 volts across that range, so it is 4/.2 = 20 volts per second. (That is called the slew rate.) This slew rate assumes an opening time of .2 seconds by our foot push.

The difference between .8 volts and 1 volts is .2 volts, which takes a time of .2/20 = .01 seconds. If the opening rate is a slow .2 seconds, you cut .01 seconds off the transition out of idle. WOT is 2.71 volts above idle, and the computer learns the idle voltage no matter what it is, so the time from idle to WOT threshold doesn't change at all. With .8V idle the WOT threshold is 3.51 volts and with 1 volt idle the WOT threshold is 3.71 volts, so nothing gets to WOT faster.

I'm not sure what can change differently that would be possible to notice in .01 seconds. The real major thing that happens is WOT, and it is reached in the same time no matter what the start voltage is. Everything between is plotted based on idle to WOT position, so none of that changes.

16. Mike86Stang

I understand what you're saying about the WOT voltage, and it seems like i'm incorrect there, but part throttle input will/ must change when you are starting off in the higher TPSv range. So regardless of the fact the EEC is resetting your "base" throttle setting if/when the throttle crosses 1.1v as you stated you are now in part throttle. Now let's say you're at the bottom end of the TPSv range.. it will take more throttle angle to cross that closed throttle voltage threshold. Granted, it may not be discernible to some but I've tried the whole bolting it on and letting it go ,and i'll tell you now that it does not feel the same.

17. madspeed

the computer takes its reading at startup and uses that as its base setting and modifies from there. It doesnt care if the tps is set at .75 or .98, it will use that number as its lowest setting upon startup. Has nothing to do with 1.1 as that is just the upper limit of base setting that it allows within its base range

18. Mike86Stang

Ok, now I got ya. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

19. madspeed

if its base is set above 1.1 thats when its like wtf im outta here

20. Mike86Stang

mine always had that tendency above 1.0v but maybe my DVM was just a piece of crap :tongue: lol