1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

apexi turbo controllers

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ptown59, Apr 3, 2005.

1. ptown59

how come you only seem to see these things on ricers. what do you need to use an electronic boost controller on a car that didnt come with a turbo from the factory?

2. mfpmax

There is nothing special about an electornic boost controller that "only ricers" have them. The instructions vary from unit to unit but they all use some sort of solenoid valve.

3. ptown59

are they prone to failure? for example, if it malfunctions could your boost peg and blow your engine?

4. MORA

most are not prone to malfunction.

People use them, but ricers just flash it more at you.

5. hindle

Also, as far as I know, they're all designed to fail "open", so you would run the least boost, not full boost.

But of course, that's a generalization...

The good thing about them is that you can modify the boost depending on the weather conditions. A lot of manual controllers will vary with humidity and air temperature.

I've never had a problem with my Hallman ones though... They've been rock solid from the first one that Marc ever made.

6. Mikes88Stang

Im running an AVC-R. Seems ok so far. I dynoed with it and could set my boost as I desired. With the cold weather here, its been turned off for a bit tho.
    The only reason I risked buying one is because Summit now sells them. I know if I had an issue I could easily send it back to them without any hassels.

7. ptown59

what wastegate is it tied into, or is it a complete unit that has a wastegate controller and the in cab adjuster?

8. MORA

i like the profec b.

no fuzzy logic for me, please.

9. BlackMagic94

I have one still, but I only use the AEM now for boost management

10. Mikes88Stang

Running a Tial WG. The Greddy Profec is also a great unit. Much easier to control from what I understand too.