1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

tps sensor

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by gt40_5.0, Apr 2, 2005.

1. gt40_5.0

i finally got my car started and idling fine but i cant get the sensor to go below 1.116. its as far as the sensor will turn. i got it idling at 1000rpms. help!

2. gt40_5.0

3. GTTURBO88

Sometimes you have to ream the screw holes out a little bit so that you can turn the sensor a little farther so it can read .99 V

4. SC302Beast

You can also turn the idle-adjustment screw on the bottom of the throttle body a bit too, this will lower your idle, and help bring the tps settings back down in check. Just don't get too crazy with it.

5. gt40_5.0

i tried doing that but i have to idle at like 600rpms just to get it.

6. SC302Beast

It might be ok once you turn the car off and restart it. My idle would never stay where I adjusted it, always went back to some kind of default or something after the computer relearned.

7. gt40_5.0

hey i might try that. probably would work. also my gauge is only reading 8-9 inches of vacuum at idle. that normal? i thought it was suppose to be at like 18in at idle. when i rev it up to like 2500rpms it goes up to like 18in then. this thing runs pig rich at idle. my eyes were watering thats how bad it was burning my eyes from running rich. i guess im going to have to get a tuner or something to stop that. universal MAF and bosch 42lb injectors

8. SC302Beast

My combo is very similar to yours, but it will be at least next Saturday before it runs..:( . I'd check for vacuum leaks, I have a bad habit of missing a line or two when I fire something up for the first time...a vacuum leak might explain several of the bugs you're experiencing.

9. gt40_5.0

i think i might have one cuz i can here something kind of whistling (besides the turbo). i dont know where its coming from. my vacuum lines are very simple. i checked them all and they are all on. i might have a messed up gauge cuz when i dropped it on the ground from like 3 feet up and it didnt sit at 0 anymore. it would sit at like 1 psi. it might be leaking out the gauge if i dont have the fittings tightened up enough. i didnt want to tighten them up too much tho.

10. gt40_5.0

well i tried idling it down to about 500rpms and setting the tps and still could only get it down to 1.08v on the sensor. guess im going to have to ream out the screw holes a little like GTTURBO said to get it to go lower.

11. kenn1320

Yes, ream the holes out. This is a very common trick that is a must when wanting to turn up your idle(large cam). Caution however, dont open the holes up, rather slot or elongate them. I use a drill bit that is the same size as the current hole, then push sideways to slot the holes. Take it slow and you will be fine. Set your idle to around 700rpms and do this WITH THE IDLE AIR BYPASS VALVE DISCONNECTED. Once you get the idle where you want it, and the tps reading where you want it, plug the idle air bypass back in and your good to go. On my race cams, I set the idle at 1000rpms. Hope this helps you.

Ken

12. gt40_5.0

i thought u are suppose to set your TPS with the key on and engine off?

Now im getting a reading of .346 ?!?! then i will start it up and let it idle then turn it back off and it goes back to normal..im confused as hell is it really necessary to get this thing at .998??? what will happen if its not? i know at WOT it will go over 4.6v

13. stanggod

Do it with key on engine off. If it's too far off from .998 it will run like shit.

14. gt40_5.0

the thing is it idles fine at 1.16v. it stays at 800rpms :shrug:

15. stanggod

I know on mine anything over 1v it doesn't run right. Just set it at .990-.998 and you will be fine.

16. gt40_5.0

thats the whole reason for this post lol. when i have it idling around 700-800rpms i cant get it to go below 1v. i have to set the idle to like 600rpms to get it below 1v. and it almost dying on me

17. stanggod

Did you mess with the idle screw at all? If you did set it back to where it was and get the tps to where it is supposed to be. I bet it will run a lot better.

18. gt40_5.0

yeah i have messed with the idle screw alot. i had to tho it wasnt reading right. i dont know where the screw is exactly suppose to be.. will bringing it to a dyno and getting a chip burned solve this problem?

19. stanggod

No, a chip won't solve your tps being off. Turn the screw out until it closes the tb completely and then set the tps like I described before. I bet that will fix it.

20. gt40_5.0

i got it pretty much .996v at 700rpms. good enough. thanks!!