1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

TPI Ignition limitations

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by tunedports10, Sep 16, 2009.

1. tunedports10

Does anyone know what the hp limitations of a small cap tpi distributor is. Also need to know what the hp limitations on a msd 8207 blaster coil and 6AL are. I have a 383 with TPIS miniram intake, pnp holley systemax heads, crane cams 234I/240E .050 duration .497I/.507E lift cam. Makes great power till 5100rpm then falls flat on its face and starts breaking up. Turbo is a PT78hps at 15lbs. let me know if any more information would help

2. TTFBDY

what plug gap?

3. trbo355

I still use the stock TPI distributor but not the module since im crank trigger. No problems to mid 700 whp so far. Not sure on your coil P/N but i know the tiny little Blaster SS coil will go past 1000 hp at .025 plug gap.
    I wonder if your out of valve spring or your simply too low on timing. What do you have for engine management?

4. 87TurboIroc

I am completely stock on my tpi small cap ignition and I am seeing some breakup at about 6.5 psi at around 5300-5400 (under the higher load of 2nd gear). I don't know the exact rpm because the tach went crazy when it happened. Plug gap is .035 for now.

5. tunedports10

It really sounds more like the ignition breaking up after 5100. I really think I can eliminate valve spring issues. It gained more power when we added timing but still fell off. We were at 34 degrees when we did this. I am running FAST classic

You can't really see power numbers from the pic,but here is my dyno graph and you can see the power just drop off.

[​IMG]#ad

6. trbo355

Thats a really strange looking dyno graph to peak so low and then slowly fall power. Its like the turbo is EXTREMELY fast spooling. Is it choked up bigtime up top? Whats the 2nd line up from the bottom? I also see it looks like it goes 13.7 to 1 at the tail end. Is it running out of fuel and laying down cuz of that?

7. tunedports10

max is 11.7 to 1. It really sounds more like ignition breaking up. The fuel is fne and 3rd line down is boost. Right when the hp and torque cross is where it takes a sh*t

8. tunedports10

gonna try ditching the autolite 3923's and go to there AR3932's and see what happens