1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Total junkyard slant six idea

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Charliechaindrive, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Charliechaindrive

Hi folks, my name is Charles. I'm up here in the frozen wasteland also known as Minnesota, and here in my area we do ice races every new years.

I have an 86 D150 currently with no motor or transmission, and a well worn '78 slant six and 904 out of an old military truck. I've compiled several other components, such as a small Volvo turbo, wideband gauge, and a slightly larger carburetor that I've followed the hangar 18 mods on to my best extent. For clarification, I'm not trying to make something that's going to crack off a 14 second quarter mile time or anything, pardon the cliche but 76-80% of my motivation is for the sound. So I'd just like to stick to about 7psi at most of boost pressure to keep the thing from making piston soup. I've read into the 5 pin GM HEI modules for the turbo firebirds and such, and I am also familiar with running a Mopar electronic ignition distributor off an hei module.

I have some small methods to my madness. The track I'd be taking it on is quite small. Maybe a 1/4 mile oval on a frozen pond, so I chose this small Volvo turbo that came off of a 2.5l engine so there's a higher chance it'd come into the usable boost range at a low RPM where the slant is already happier, but the main hiccup I'm running into is a blow off valve and wastegate combination that I could trust within reason to not stick and have me melt it down, but also not spend an arm and a leg on to bolt onto a vehicle I'd be flogging like a real life grand theft auto joyride. External wastegate as well I should clarify. Wasn't lucky enough to get a turbo with a built in one.

I'm aiming for a blow through carb, low/mild boost setup that's all but simple as dirt itself. And pardon if this is a rambling long post, I'm currently camping at the event mentioned and I'll put it as I've had a few to drink at this point of the night lol. I figured it'd be better to make the post now before I forget 80% of what I wanted to say. Happy new year! And thank goodness for spell check

Charles

2. Mnlx

Any cheap ebay bov will work, and isn't absolutely needed unless you're on, and off the throttle a lot, which I assume you are. The cheap China wastegates have gotten better, but a good compromise would be a gate from VS Racing. They're imported, but he stands behind his products, and they work. Where in MN?

3. Charliechaindrive

I'm down by the brainerd area. And alright, cool. I'll have to look into the vs racing option.

4. Russell

Knock on wood my cheap eBay BOV and WG have worked so far. I got the ones from "speed daddy" your mileage may very.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3825228149...nHfS56tQqG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911294561...nHfS56tQqG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This is my first build so I don't really know what I am doing and my standards are lol low. Far as I can tell they are working as intended. I do have a light PTE spring in the Waste Gate and using a Mac valve controlled by Holley EFI.