1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Torque plate question. MMR?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Kellyo77, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Kellyo77

I want to make a set for myself. No machine shops around here have them for the modular motors. All I need is someone with a tape measure and and a couple minutes to help me out.
    Material thickness is really what I am looking for. Can figure out the rest.

If anyone could help me out, would really appreciate it!!

2. turbomike76

I've seen some b/f and I would say they are about 2-2.5 inches thick..

3. Kellyo77

Thank you guys for the information!

MMR if you ever decide to need the thicker ones, let me know. I can CNC whatever you want.

4. 03SVTCOBRA10TH

How about making a set for the regular guy, like me, who can not afford the $800 price tag of the accufab set of plates or the $500 price tag for 1 BJH plate???

5. 97tntcobra

i know thats right!!!

6. Kellyo77

As soon as I have time to work on them, I might look into that. Depends on how long it takes to make a set, material cost and such. If not too bad, I wouldn't be opposed to making some.

7. hotrodder_101

Ok newb here to mods. What is a torque plate?
    Thanks Luke

8. Kellyo77

Thick aluminum plates that bolt to a modular block. They simulate a head being bolted to the block to ensure the cylinders don't get distorted or out of round during the machining/ cylinder boring process. Or any other machine work that requires the block to be perfectly straight and cylinders to be perfectly round. That is my understanding anyway.

If this is incorrect, please correct me!

9. hotrodder_101

Alright learned something new today.
    Thanks Luke

10. kbracing96

Actually, they don't keep it from distorting, they distort it just like it would be when the head bolted to it for the machining processes, so when you do bolt the head on, the bores are round and true and not distorted from the bolt torque pulling in the block.

11. 03SVTCOBRA10TH

That would be great!!! Let us know man!!!

12. Kellyo77

I didn't really know how to describe what I was trying to say but that was basically it. Thanks for the help KB!

As far as making a set, I have to come up with a head to use. I sold the extra set I had. Need it for head bolt measurements to know where to place the holes in the plates. Hell, guess I need a block as well to make sure that they work after making them. lol
    Will work on that when I can. Have a lot going on at work right now. When it slows down some, I will certainly work in it. Will keep you guys updated.

BTW, does anyone have a link to some pictures of the Accufab pieces or the BFJ? I have been looking and for some reason can't find anything.