1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Torque box reinforcement advice and a few pics.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by davidl340, Mar 21, 2005.

1. davidl340

I just got done doing 7 days of work, about 11 hours a day on my mustang (ya I'm slow) Thought I'd post this for any future reference. I also did a roll bar install, gear install, sub frames, drive shaft loop, upper and lowers, axles, etc... What really pisses me off is I can't drive it because no one will insure a modified car (that's another thread)

The typical 93 and earlier style lower reinforcements do not fit the 1995 body style without modification to the torque box opening and reinforcement. I had to severely enlarge the torque box holes, swap the drivers and passenger sides, weld the holds up and drill new ones, and still trim the corners off to get them to work.

[​IMG]#ad

The uppers are a PIA. Do not bother drilling the holes though the sheet metal in the back seat area for the big 1/2" bolts. It is a joke, just get a long punch and poke though the paper thin sheet metal, easy (that stuff is thinner than a soup can!). By far the hardest thing about the uppers is drilling the 3/8" holes below the big bolt holes, you have to drill through about 3/8" thick of sheet metal etc... to do it. GET NEW DRILL BITS before you start.

[​IMG]#ad

Ended up welding a washer in the lower mount hole opposite the reinforcement so the bolt wouldn't wobble it out, very thin metal even on the frame side.

When you weld up the uppers and lowers, be sure you have someone watching around so you don't catch yourself on fire.

That sound reinforcement comes off best with heat, the seam sealer comes off best with a head porting bit in a drill, don't get it mixed up, or you'll end up with a dirty bit and a some burning seam sealer.

Here's a link to all the pics of the things I installed

I'll post more later on the other stuff I did if anyone give a rats azz.

2. Kobra

Thanks David. I liked what you did.

Have you heard of tying the roll cage into the upper torque box reinforcement?

I'm working on a '84 Capri-stang and am just starting the process of getting the reinforcement kits for both the upper and lower torque boxes. Hadn't thought about the cage, but tying it into the upper torque boxes made sense. Don't remember where I saw it, but somewhere else on the 'net.

Kobra

3. davidl340

ya, I've heard of tying it into the upper reinforcements, but with style bar I got, it would have been somewhat of a pain, also, keeping the back seat may have been a bit more difficult.